Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

holes in my garden

Kathieb87
Getting Established

holes in my garden

Hi everyone. For a few weeks I’ve been seeing holes in my yard. My kids aren’t doing it and I’ve poked the holes but nothing comes out , would anyone know what causes them and how to stop it? 

Walter

Re: holes in my garden

Hey @Kathieb87 ,

welcome to the Workshop community.

You say you have been seeing them over a few weeks....

If the holes are say, pencil size or so in diameter, my guess is cicadas.  I've been getting a few of them. If you upload a photo someone could verify it.

Kathieb87
Getting Established

0A360494-0F79-4BD3-889A-4B393366596C.jpeg

8CBA3D15-D052-4537-B49F-2A8952806BF1.jpeg

Kathieb87
Getting Established

Thanx , some holes are small but most are about the size of a 10c coin. I’ve put up a few more photos

Oh, WOW,

thats a lot of holes.

Have you noticed and black beetles?

If the grass has  faded and gone straw like you might have black beetle infestation.

I'd go for the grub killa range 

There should be some other community members who can help with advice, but looking at those photos, I'm almost certain It's black beetles

Kathieb87
Getting Established

FCA8FEA6-7F7B-41F5-9ADC-772A658B16C9.jpeg

Hi Walter . Thanx for the reply. I haven’t seen anything coming out of them and I’ve poked a few . I’ve got hundreds of holes all through my backyard. I’ll pick up some spray today. Hopefully it works

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Kathieb87. It's fantastic to have you join us and many thanks for your question.

It's great to see you've already received a helpful reply from @Walter

You might like to read through these previous discussions as they could lead you to an answer:

I'd be following @Walter's advice and trying a product like Richgro 1kg Lawn Beetle And Grub Killa Insecticide as I believe there is a good chance it is a case of lawn beetle.

Please let us know how you go.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Hi Mitchell. I’ve read through the articles and it’s most likely beetles. It says I can do a test so I’ll try it tonight and I’ll post up the results. I’ve seen a lot of birds pecking at the grass today . Thanks everyone for all the help

Hi @Kathieb87 

After I found the Black beetle in the veg garden it turned up in the lawn as well.

I had all the holes like yours and the grass was thatching because the roots were being eaten.

The way they were got rid of was, at the time we had quite a lot of rain and it seemed to drown them.

I found them all on top of the ground and I've never seen any sign since. (That was a couple of years ago now.)

It seems that if the lawn is kept well watered it will stop the beetles laying eggs in it.

The larvae of the beetle is a grub (Cockchafer grub)

Here is a site which could be of some help.

https://www.dayliliesinaustralia.com.au/how-to-get-rid-of-white-curl-grubs

.🍻

Be happy and care for your tools

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects