Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

how to have luscious rainforest feel outdoors where there is no light?

renonewbie
Cultivating a Following

how to have luscious rainforest feel outdoors where there is no light?

Hi there

Looking for advice on best plants to select for an area in our deck that receives no sunlight. We already have trees that are sprouting on top so I know this can make it more difficult as they're already rooted.looking for something low maintainence that will survive in

complete shade.

Many thanks Clare 

Let me know if you need more information!

20200906_124653.jpg

20200906_124647.jpg

20200906_124644.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: how to have luscious rainforest feel outdoors where there is no light?

Hi Clare (@renonewbie), 

It looks like those Bromeliads are going quite well in that area and I would suggest investing in some more. They can also be attached to the latticework to create a green wall effect. Some other plants suggestions are Native Violets, Devils Ivy, Chinese Money Plant, Monstera and Rojo Congo Red.

Nothing says rainforest more than some running water. You might like to consider creating a small water feature and we have plenty of pre-cast ponds which would be perfect for that area. 

You could consider our range of UN-REAL plants as they work very well in combination with real plants.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Janelle3m
Finding My Feet

I love Rhapis Palms but haven't had much luck with mine.  They'd be the perfect height, love the shade and will definitely give the tropical look but I found them to be a little temperamental. 

Alternatively variegated ginger is super easy to grow.  I've attached a picture of my side garden, this section is in shade all day.  I've forgotten the name of the smaller plant at the front but its super easy as well.  I've found anything that they grow at display homes and shopping centers are near impossible to kill.  A bit of devils ivy growing on the ground behind the screen too (also impossible to kill). 

Variegated ginger and ???Variegated ginger and ??? 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Janelle3m. It's amazing to have you join us and many thanks for contributing to the discussion.

What a lovely little area you have created there! It must be delightful to take an outdoor shower on those hot summer days.

We look forward to hearing about the projects you have going on around your home and garden and we'd encourage you to let us know if you ever need assistance or would like to share them with the community. I trust you'll find loads of inspiration for them from within the community as our amazing members are contributing their ideas here all the time.

Mitchell

renonewbie
Cultivating a Following

Thanks @MitchellMc and @Janelle3m  for the tips. 

I've started out with some bromeliads and plan to get some more... Id love to attach them to the lattice work but can't quite work out how I'd do that?

Also went with some devils ivy for the lattice, monstera and some Kentia palms...

I wonder now if I should have uprooted the trees that are spase on bottom and only flower on top as wonder if they'll eat up all the nutrients! Hmm..

20200913_125256.jpg

20200913_125318.jpg

Hi again @renonewbie,

Let me tag @Noelle to see if she might have some ideas about how to attach your bromeliads to the lattice. 

Jason

Noelle
Kind of a Big Deal

Hi @renonewbie 

The easiest way would be to use some planter troughs that could be hung from the trellis on hooks, then simply put your broms into pots that would sit inside the troughs. Have a look at lightweight (plastic) planter troughs and appropriate hooks in Bunnings' range.  Use a premium planting mix like Osmocote Indoor Plants Mix, which is made from coir fibre and drains well while providing support to keep the bromeliads in place.  The effect will be like a green wall depending on how you space the planters.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects