Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

i need suggestions for types of moss

joe123
Getting Established

i need suggestions for types of moss

ht_how-to-get-rid-of-moss-in-lawns-hero.jpg

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: i need suggestions for types of moss

Can you tell us a bit more about your garden and what you are trying to achieve @joe123? I'm sure our ever-helpful community members will be more than happy to assist.

Let me extend a very warm welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. We're so pleased to have you join us and look forward to reading about all your projects and plans for around the house and garden.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
joe123
Getting Established

My garden is the size of a table [refer to picture below :)] 
images.jpg

joe123
Getting Established

Hi, I urgently need help with what moss I need in my garden. At the moment, I do not have anything in my garden but I really need specific moss that I can buy at Bunnings.

Sincerely, Joe

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @joe123,

You'll be pleased to know that we sell moss at Bunnings, and I can recommend the 130mm Club Moss - Selaginella kraussiana Gold. If you'd like to let us know a little about your tabletop moss project, I trust our helpful members will have some other suggestions.  

Please let me know if you need further assistance or have questions.

Mitchell

joe123
Getting Established

Just bought the moss you suggested my man!

Mitch, this is the perfect reply I needed but if you have another type of moss that you are inclined to I would absolutely LOVE to hear it ,':)

joe.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

It's great to hear that product was suitable @joe123.

What are you creating on the table? Is it to be a moss garden? I've used moss pretty extensively in projects in the past. I had Bonsai as a hobby for many years, and I'd dress pots with it often. I always found the best place to get moss was by taking a walk around my neighbourhood. Often you'll find moss in gutters or where rainwater collects. Sometimes you'll even find it in people's front yards, and they might be happy for you to collect some. Fortunately, I let moss take over my grass in shaded areas of my garden and have as much as I can ever need.

You can also propagate the moss you collect to make it go further. It's a simple process of cutting the moss up into small sections and spreading it out over some growing medium like seed raising mix. If you keep it moist, the individual moss sections will take root and spread out. If this is a project you are doing over some months, that could be a way to fill the table.

Mitchell

joe123
Getting Established

Thank you for your tips I will go for a walk with my kids later today to go forage some moss. I am creating a landscape of sorts on a tabletop and seeing as you have some expirience with Bonsai trees do you have any recommendations on a Bonsai tree that could survive the same conditions as the moss/ :smile:

How To Grow And Care For A Bonsai Tree | Bunnings Warehouse

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Your landscape project sounds amazing! I would have to say I was almost more fond of Penjing or 'tray scenery' than actual Bonsai itself.

What you might like to do is have the trees sit up slightly higher than the moss on mounds of the potting mix, so they don't sit in dampness. You could even leave the plants in shallow pots and cover them over with the moss.

There's a great range of Bonsai starters in different varieties which you could use. The Port Jackson figs enjoy ample waterings, and you'll find it hard to over-water them. As long as you have a good amount of drainage holes in the table and a free-draining potting mix, the bonsai and moss can survive in the same conditions. Bonsai's like a free-draining mix with regular waterings and mosses also love water. In saying that, the moss only really needs to be dampened down with a spray bottle each day and don't require a whole heap of water.

Interestingly enough, I would speculate that moss wasn't something Bonsai was dressed with to make it pretty; rather, it just grew there as a natural side effect of the regular plant watering. Traditionally, Bonsai is solely focused on the stand-alone tree and pot, and they should be the focal point. Moss covering the roots or nebari would be considered unsightly and be removed.

Make sure you search Penjing, as they use plenty of rocks that can save on moss. It will also be of great inspiration for your project. I look forward to following along and can't wait to see the results.

Mitchell

joe123
Getting Established

Thank you, I will take all of this info into consideration when picking out the final plants of my project. The insight this has given me was exactly what i was looking for. Thank you for helping me I hope you have a very blessed day and thanks again - Joe Pleopard-gecko-smile1

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects