Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

is this plant doomed?

vr00mm
Growing in Experience

is this plant doomed?

The leafs were burned as i accidentally left the plant outside too long. 

I cut the burn leaves but brown leafs started to grow nonetheless.

What can i do to revive this plant?

Thanks

inbound4171306950359890350.jpg

StevieB
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Re: is this plant doomed?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @vr00mm.

Let me tag @Noelle to see if she can share any tips for reviving this plant.

It's great to have you join us and we look forward to hearing more about your home improvement projects and plants.

Stevie

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @vr00mm

Thank you for sharing your question about your plant's health.

Several factors may contribute to the decline of your plant's health.

• Dehydration is one of the main causes of brown leaves. The water is not getting to the leaves and causes brown leaf tips and leaves to occur. Make sure that the plant is watered often and you get good water drainage from the pot. You want the soil moist but not waterlogged.
  • Soil compaction also causes plant dehydration. If the soil around the roots of the plant has clumped together too much, it prevents water from penetrating the soil. I suggest lightly tilling the soil near the base being careful not to cut the plant roots.
  • Too much salt or fertilizer has entered the soil. I suggest removing the excess salt by running water through the soil making sure to get the water to drain out. I recommend re-potting the plant as an easier option rather than trying to rebalance the minerals in the soil.

I am an eternal optimist and I believe that your plant can be saved. Remove the brown leaves as they no longer contribute anything to your plant. Try the techniques I've recommended and see if any changes occur. Please keep us updated, we look forward to seeing your plant healthy and recovered.

If you need more advice or information, please let us know.

Eric

Noelle
Kind of a Big Deal

Hi @vr00mm 

Over exposure to direct sun will cause burning like that on your plant, so it is important to keep it either shaded outside or in an indoor spot where it doesn't get direct sun through glass. The appearance of more brown leaves after you had trimmed off the first affected may indicate the new leaves were also burned as they developed and before they unfurled.

It looks like there is a nice healthy growth coming from lower down on the stem. I'd suggest cutting off the damaged stem entirely just above where the healthy growth is. The plant may look a bit stunted for a while but it will grow taller over time.

@EricL's advice regarding looking after your plant is also very helpful for keeping the healthy part of the plant growing well into the future.

vr00mm
Growing in Experience

Dear Everyone

Thank you for the advises. I attached the updated photos of this plant. I must tell you that this plant has been re-potted and I think the process of re-potting and being left in the sun too long cause the deterioration. The soil has got cow manure in it after repotting hoping it will fertilises it.  Prior repotting, it was submerged in water in the root and this was the cause the plant being placed out side in the sun. Overall, the plant has undergo a lot of stress. 

Now the growth is also emerging brown. I feel this plant has no chance of coming back alive. I am so ready  to get a new one from Bunnings and I have learned to not leaves the root wet from now on. 

Bunnings. :unhappy:20210807_125921.jpg20210807_125931.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @vr00mm

I am sorry to hear that the brown leaves on the plant are upsetting you. It is natural for the plant to remove its damaged parts by growing them out. You must give it time to recover, it will not happen overnight. I suggest placing the plant in another area of the house where there is still sunlight. Think of it as putting the plant in a recovery area where it can repair itself and get healthy again. Please keep us updated, we look forward to seeing your plant healthy again.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects