Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

pest control when you have bees

Tracie10
Just Starting Out

pest control when you have bees

Hi  Need some advice we have 4 citrus trees which suffer minor leaf, aphids and black spot. I am aware there are chemicals to rid of these pests. But my husband has European  bees and I, native bees.

We also have some other plants that also have bugs and grasshoppers.

Can anyone help I do not want to kill these bees.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: pest control when you have bees

Welcome to the Workshop community @Tracie10. Many thanks for your question.

The product Eco Organic Garden 500ml Eco Oil Concentrate is suitable for the control of Citrus leaf miner and aphids. It is safe for insects like bees and ladybugs. I believe it is also suitable for controlling the black spot. Let me tag in one of the communities gardening experts @Noelle and see if they might be able to assist further.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Hi @Tracie10 and @MitchellMc 

Any horticultural oil - white oil or Eco Organic - will assist in the control of citrus pests like leaf miner and aphids, as well as scale insects. It works by suffocating the pests - it isn't a poison as such. Eco Neem would also be effective.

Horticultural oil will not control black spot if it is a fungal disease (like black spot on roses, for example) - you will need a copper-based spray to do that.

However, if the black spots are on the undersides of the leaves and are about 2mm or so across, they are more likely to be scale. Check by trying to scratch or lift one off with your finger nail - if it comes away, it will be scale.

When applying the oil or Neem spray it's important to wet both upper and lower leaf surfaces for good control.

I have had this problem I tried white oil but only on a couple of branches. It drove the bees away and didn't really help the problem. I introduced plants around tree to attract Lady bugs as they love to eat aphids best decision ever

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects