Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

rock garden

Miiche25
Finding My Feet

rock garden

Hey everyone!
My mother has 2 rock gardens but they are really ugly now. Old flowers, most of them withered so we need to renovate it. However, I have no idea what to start with. I am going to make a plan and a list of plants that will by sufficient. What plants are good for growing in rock gardens? https://gardenseedsmarket.com/rock-gardens-en/ What should I remember about? All recomendations/photos are welcome!

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: rock garden

Hi @Miiche25,

Welcome to Workshop. We're pleased to have you join us and jump straight into the discussion. We're sure you'll get plenty of helpful advice about this project and many others to come from our knowledgeable and experienced members.

I'll kick off the suggestions and encourage you look at succulents. If you type succulent into the search box here on Workshop you should find lots of examples of members growing them successfully in a large range of conditions. 

You might also like to upload a photo or two of the garden area so members can see what you are working with and make more informed suggestions.

Thanks again,

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
greygardener
Becoming a Leader

Where are you based @Miiche25?

Isobel
Amassing an Audience

@Miiche25

Some good ideas and pictures here - https://www.bhg.com/gardening/design/styles/rock-garden-designs/

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

How are you going with ideas @Miiche25? Did you want to let us know where you are based so members can provide more specific advice?

Let me also tag experienced garden writer @Noelle who might like to make some recommendations for you.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Noelle
Kind of a Big Deal

@Miiche25 There are lots of plants that are great for rock gardens. Cacti and succulents do well in most climates but they need full sun and good drainage. They will survive in even cold areas but are obviously better where it's warm. Lots of the small growing alpine-type plants do well in rockeries too but again they need plenty of sun. Try blue and white gentians, armeria (thrift), true geraniums, scleranthus, campanulas, dwarf bulbs - even ornamental oxalis! Just make sure you avoid the weedy ones.
Grasses are another option, including mondo and liriope - just make sure you use the dwarf forms. If the rock gardens are lightly shaded from midday, you could try soft and woody herbs, like parsley and coriander, thyme and oregano.
Fill the gaps with low growing flowering annuals for splashes of colour through the seasons - pansies and violas over winter and marigolds and petunias over summer.
There are plenty of options available - check out small plant range in any nursery.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects