Workshop
Ask a question

Replacing or Building a Post & Rail Retaining wall

BIM_Engineer
Former Community Member

Replacing or Building a Post & Rail Retaining wall

On several  recent engineering & building inspection I noticed a few retaining walls that needed attention so I was asked to provide illustrative engineering drawing and easy to follow details.Whether you intend to build it as a DIY project or get someone else in to do the job..it's always advisable to have a good idea of how the project should be done properly. A few points to consider beforehand

•  Check with your council building department 
  •  Generally a 2 person min. installation... remember Safety Always First (SAF)
  •  When in doubt always consult an engineer
  •  High retaining walls may require engineering certificationDIY Retain.jpg

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Replacing or Building a Post & Rail Retaining wall

Thanks for sharing @BIM_Engineer. Fantastic detail as always.

Hope this is useful to community members.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Mick0s
Having an Impact

Ooh, a good subject to bring up.

I'm looking at replacing a decrepid TP half logs, and was going to use 75mm slepers adn teh RetainIt Posts frmo Bunnigns to do so.

But, I'm a little puzzled on how to approach oe part of the wall.

Thepicture below shows the basic lay of the land and what the wall currently looks like.

retain.png

The standard wall part, I'm fine with, its the part that runs up the slope that confuses me.

Currently the poles just run horizontaly and then end in the ground, without any footing or anything holding it firmly that I can see (aside from the fact that its packed under the soil).

Whats the best way to redo this side?  

Would I want to run all three sleepers the whole lengh and fix at a 3 riser post at the top of the slope? (which would be wholly burried)

Or run each sleeper a fraction of the way along, and use a single post at the end of each sleeper.

I should draw pictures to illustrate these, but I also shold get some work done today! :laugh:

BIM_Engineer
Former Community Member

Hi MickOs
Thanks for the 3D drawing

On the sloping side elevation you can vary the plank length
as Illustrated..hthDiy Retain1.jpg

Cheers @BIM_Engineer.
Some food for thought. Now I just need time to get this done! :laugh:
BIM_Engineer
Former Community Member

@Mick0s your welcome & please share your photos :smile:

For any picking up this thread, I've found the data sheets I think BIM refers to, since he kindly directed me to this thread. http://www.dtmtimber.com.au/tech_literature.html and the data sheets 8 and 9. Data sheet 8 has an easily digested table of post and wale specs for wall less than a metre high. data sheet 9 has some very good detail, including discussion of no fines mix for concreting in the posts. I've tried it and I like the no-fines.
antboy
Just Starting Out

good post, thanks for sharing
Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @antboy,

Just thought I'd extend an overdue welcome to the Workshop community. Many thanks for joining in the discussion. We look forward to reading about your own projects and plans. Please feel free to post anytime you need a hand or have something to share. We have loads of community members sharing their experiences and knowledge, and I'm sure other members would also benefit from seeing your handiwork.

Thanks,

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Good afternoon, BIM_Engineer.

i have exacatly the problem as per the diagram above and was wondering if you could send me a copy of the drawing, as i cannot see in your image some of the detail. i am wondering how to determine the depth and height of the fence posts as they track down the slope to ensure i have sufficient sleepers to not leave gaps underneath the fence?

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects