Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Can I remove this wall around the fridge?

candv04
Finding My Feet

Can I remove this wall around the fridge?

Can anyone tell me if there is any other purpose for this wall built around the fridge other than a space for the fridge? It’s so much wasted space- would it be a complicated process to remove?

8BCB8106-7A31-44EF-96A1-DC2CD4EFF874.jpeg

CSParnell
Amassing an Audience

Re: kitchen renovation- advice about wall

Hey @candv04 yep that's its sole purpose to house fridges if certain sizes but there is nothing stopping you installing a cupboard or shelf above it as long as it has a vent gap at the rear and a grill to the ceiling space for the heat of the back of the fridge.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @candv04. It's marvellous to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about removing walls.

As @CSParnell has mentioned, the alcove has likely been created purely to house a fridge. There is a fair bit of wasted space with your fridge as they probably designed the alcove to accommodate a larger double-door fridge/freezer combo. The problem with this sort of alcove is they need to make it big enough for the largest of fridges.

You could certainly fit a slimline cabinet above the fridge. Or, the option is there to remove the alcove partially or altogether. Removing the alcove is not an overly complicated process, but there is going to be a considerable amount of work to restore and refinish the walls and ceiling where the alcove meets them. Be aware that there won't be any floor tiles under the wall, so you'll need to source matching tiles to repair the floor.

I'd recommend you consider installing cabinetry above the fridge and potentially creating a storage nook in the plastered void above the fridge. That would use most of the wasted space. I've created the below rendering to illustrate.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thanks for the great advice and drawing! We are wanting to renovate the kitchen and ideally remove it altogether ( sides and top). Would this require a building permit and structural engineer?

Thanks so much for the advice!

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @candv04,

You'd need to check with your local council to determine whether a building permit would be required for this work. I'd suggest it would be a good idea to get a builder to assess the walls to ensure they are not weight-bearing before pulling them out.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects