Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

What type of paint for wooden highchair?

josiel
Just Starting Out

What type of paint for wooden highchair?

I have a wooden highchair that we have just finished sanding the old varnish and stain from. I'm looking at painting it but unsure what type of paint would be safe/fit for purpose when it will be in contact with babies food and likely chewed on a bit. I have some leftover dulux aquanamel semigloss. I am open to other options also.

20230312_182352.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: type of paint for wooden highchair

Hello @josiel 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's fabulous to have you join us, and thank you for sharing your question about painting your high wooden chair.

If you wish to keep the timber finish on that lovely wooden highchair, I suggest using Cabots 1L Clear Gloss Benchtop Timber Finish. It is food safe (once fully cured), non-yellowing and heat resistant. I recommend a minimum of three coats so that it will have a nice tough finish on the surface. 

However, if you are painting it with colour, I recommend Dulux Super Enamel or Dulux Aquanamel. These products achieve their non-toxic rating after fully curing so it's important to give them enough time until the paint is totally dry.

Please make sure to wear personal protection such as gloves, goggles and a paint mask when working on your timber highchair.

Please keep us updated with your progress, we look forward to seeing the highchair painted and ready for use.

Eric  

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects