Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to fix benchtop cracks around cooktop?

lilypeng
Finding My Feet

How to fix benchtop cracks around cooktop?

Hello, my kitchen benchtop is an engineered stone made and there are a few cracks around the cooktop after years. Can I please have any suggestions on how to fix them?

I know some gel could be used to fix cracks, and got someone to come, but the guy told me my benchtop is not stone/marble and won't adhere to the gel, which confused me. Is there any gel that can be used for fixing cracks on engineered stone? Any tools should be used?

Many thanks for any suggestions and information!

benchtop with cooktop.jpgCrack 1.jpgCrack 2.jpgCrack 3.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to fix benchtop cracks around cooktop?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @lilypeng. It's a pleasure to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about repairing an engineered benchtop.

You've got some major issues going on here. Are you using large pans that extend over the stove surface and onto the benchtop? That's the only reason I can think of that you'd see such extensive cracking of the surface. There's no heat produced by the induction cooktop, but the bottom of your pans obviously gets hot. If they're sitting over the benchtop, they could be causing the cracking. The issue that's causing the cracking needs to be identified and resolved before attempting to fix the benchtop. Perhaps you might like to contact the cooktop manufacturer to discuss the issue.

The repair of these cracks is a job for a professional. I'd imagine that the cracks can be filled with the same product that is used to join segments of engineered stone benchtops together. I'd suggest you call around a few companies that deal with damaged benchtops until you find one knowledgeable about engineered benchtops, not just stone and marble. There is no repair I can think of that you could perform yourself, as you need colour-matched adhesive from the benchtop manufacturer and the appropriate tools and training to apply it.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Re: How to fix benchtop cracks around cooktop?

Thank you so much Mitchell.

You are right that some of my pans are large and the heat from the pans must come over the benchtop and caused the cracks. This reminds me to take care of them in the future. I will take the suggestions and leave it to professionals.

Appreciate!

Lily

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects