Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to install a faucet aerator?

aorma21
Finding My Feet

How to install a faucet aerator?

Our kitchen faucet has no aerator/end piece and the water comes out quite fast and splashes etc. Is it possible to add an end piece to help smooth and possibly slow the flow? I have attached a photo of the faucet end! Thanks for your advice!

PXL_20230314_200633701.jpg

KatieC
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Re: How to install a faucet aerator?

Hi @aorma21,

First, let me extend a warm welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community! It is awesome you have joined us, thank you for your question about installing a faucet aerator. Our resident DIY expert @EricL will be online this afternoon, so in the meantime, let me tag in our amazing Workshop members @CSParnell@MikeTNZ, and @TedBear to check if they have some advice. 

Katie

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thanks Katie, I look forward to any advice!

CSParnell
Amassing an Audience

Hey @aorma21 

Can you see if this piece like in the image unscrews at all? If it does I'd take that down to your local Bunnings and into the plumbing section  and the isles with all the copper pipe fittings and angles and the aerators are there and you may find an end that will replace that.

You will not find an aerator that will fit what you have existing unfortunately because what was there was pressed in and it has fallen out.

If you can't unscrew the tip or fin a replacement you may be looking at a new complete unit unfortunately.

Screenshot_20230315_171843_Chrome.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @aorma21 

Thanks for sharing your question about your faucet aerator. Is there a chance that you would happen to know the brand and model of your tapware? This would be the easy way to replace the missing aerator of your faucet. It is a very particular type and is installed with a special tool.

Another option is to remove the aerator housing still attached to the spout of your faucet. You'll notice that at the tip of the spout is a very faint line, this is the join between the spout and the housing. In order to remove the housing, you'll need to use a multigrip and a soft cotton rag. Wrap the rag on the housing and use the tool to turn it anti-clockwise.

Once you've removed the housing, I suggest bringing it to the plumbing department of the store and compare it to the aerators available. I suspect that one of the Enduraseal units should fit your spout.  

If the aerator is not compatible, please let me know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

It does unscrew! Thank you so much - I will take it to Bunnings and see if I can find something! Thank you again!

CSParnell
Amassing an Audience

@aorma21 no worries let us know how u go

MikeTNZ
Amassing an Audience

Hi @aorma21,

While you're at Bunnings, can you please get a new o-ring to replace the distorted one in the 2nd picture?

Take it in there and they should be able to sort you out with a new one and a small bit of silicone grease for that, for when you replace it.

Cheers,

Mike T.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects