Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to remove sealant out of an slate floor?

nerea
Cultivating a Following

How to remove sealant out of an slate floor?

Hi there, anyone has any experience removing slate sealant off an old slate floor? Any input? Ive been using a solvent from bunnings(various actually) and its imposible to remove. Please help. I can't seem to upload a picture. Thank you very much

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: removing sealant out of an slate floor

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @nerea. It's great to have you join us and many thanks for your question.

Solvent-based sealers and penetrative sealers are notoriously hard to remove and they can take several applications of a stripper and manual scrubbing to see an effect. Though, I would have expected to see some results if you have tried several products and applications. Sealers can be removed by either grinding or chemicals or pressure. Please be advised that solvent strippers should be used sparingly and adequate safety precautions should be adhered to whilst using them. This includes a respirator, gloves, eyewear and adequate ventilation.

I've spoken to the technical assistance team at Crommelins and they have advised trying their Crommelin 1L Water Rinseable Degreaser and a high-pressure water blaster. Obviously, this poses some issues if the slate is indoors. 

Once the sealer has been removed they suggest using Crommelin 4L Water Based Slate Sealer as it has better compatibility with unknown sealers than a solvent-based product.

Please let us know if you have success with the recommended products or have questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
nerea
Cultivating a Following

Hi Mitchell, 

Thanks for your replay. 

I have seen results its just very very hard and slow process,  I thought maybe was a diferent way. I have used two diferent solvents one Crommelin solvent and other xylene diggers and all from bunnings. Both similar results maybe cromelin one was better not sure, as the result is very minimal. and yes...I use all the protective gear.

So I got advised by crommelin (I called 3 times) ones to use the water based, which I brought already, and last time the guy said to use the solven based as being an older sealant would likely to be solvent based, as well I want the wet look. What do you think? Everyone I talk says something diferent and I'm going crazy about it 😂

As well...about striping it...its indoor(kitchen/dinning area)so I can't water presure it. Should I still used that product you recomend?

As well....do you guys sell like a heavy duty power brush that I could use? As I find the brushing its what works best but I will brake my shoulder before I finish. We have about 25-30sqm of slate 🤦🏻‍♀️

As well, I got a friend that lend me a steam cleaner and it seems to help with the brush attachment but I already broke the brushes on the attachement. Do you guys have anything similar but that will survive the scrubing? 

So many questions.

Thank you very very much for all your help

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

@nerea,

The reason for advising you to use the water-based is because of the unknown product on the slate at the moment. A water-based sealer with go over both water-based and solvent-based sealer but a solvent-based sealer with not adhere to a water-based sealer. If you want to ensure it adheres to the surface, I would recommend a water-based sealer.

You can use the Crommelin 1L Water Rinseable Degreaser and a stiff bristle broom like the Oates Long Handle Deck Scrub Brush. A handled broom might be easier on the back than a scrubbing brush.

There is a brush set from Ozito that attaches to a drill which might work quite well for your job. It is the 6.35MM (1/4″) Hex Shank Ultimate Cleaning Brush Set and is available to order from Ozito through our Special order desks in-store. Please specify the item number OCBA-3PC when ordering.

There are other brush attachments for drills available, but I would be concerned about how much damage they would do to the slate.

Please let me know if you have further questions.

Mitchell

I apologise I missed your issue with image uploading.

To add images:

On PC you click the camera button above where you type your reply. Click "Choose files" and select your image. Then click "Done" to insert them.

On mobile tap the little image that looks like a landscape picture. Select your images and tap "Done" to insert them.

nerea
Cultivating a Following

Thank you very much for your replays. 

I will try those products you said. 

About the sealant to use, would the water based give the wet look? I got told it wont. I'm 99% sure this sealant its solvent based. I've came to learn a bit about sealants as I've been reading and researching lots about it. This is a 35 year old home and for the state of the sealant/slate has never been replace or looked after(I still unable to upload pictures some how) and apparently 35 years ago was only solvent based sealers....thats why the last guy from crommelin said to use the solvent based one. He seemed to know a bit. As well I really want the wet look. I'm doing the hardest work I ever did in my life with this floor(I go around 2-4h per sqm scrubing like crazy, some areas comes of easier than others feels like superglue stack in there) I want it to look amazing after.

Thank you very much for all your help

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Good luck following Mitchell's advice @nerea. I hope you have some sucess. He will be back on the site on Friday to answer your follow-up questions. Thanks for your patience in the meantime.

Jason

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @nerea,

I apologise for the delay in my reply. The water-based sealer adds a semi-gloss to gloss finish. However, I don't believe it will give you that high-gloss wet-look you are most likely after and that the solvent-based products achieve. As the technical assistant at Crommelin's mentioned, the sealer used on the floor is likely to be a solvent-based because of its age, and I'd be confident in you proceeding with your choice of products.

I'm sure your floor will look amazing with the amount of effort you are putting into it.

Mitchell

nerea
Cultivating a Following

Thanks for your replay Mitchell ,

I went yesterday to Bunnings to get a few prep products and I'm gona seal the area in the kitchen as I almost finish taking most of the sealant off. I wish I could post a picture. I will let you know how I go. Maybe you come across someone with the same problem and my experience could help.

Thanks

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

What kind of a device are you using when you are trying to upload a photo on the site @nerea?

Jason

nerea
Cultivating a Following

I'm using my phone. But when I press on the picture icon...nothing happens 🤷‍♀️

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects