Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Why is my mixer tap leaking?

kantoon
Getting Established

Why is my mixer tap leaking?

FAFDEF84-99C1-4982-98BF-AC9DD56B81F2.jpeg

My tap leaks at the bottom when left on the middle or hot setting but it’s ok when on the cold setting. I have to leave it on the cold setting when not in use otherwise the counter and floor gets puddles. 

how do I fix this or do I need a new mixer? 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: leaking tap mixer

Hi @kantoon,

It sounds like a seal on the internal cartridge has gone bad. I'd suggest that replacing the cartridge would likely resolve the issue. To begin the replacement process, you'd turn off your mains water supply. You'll then need to find the grubscrew that retains the handle section. It is sometimes hidden behind the pin-lever handle. Unscrew the handle anti-clockwise and then look through the hole to see if there's a grubscrew. Alternatively, you might need to lift the handle like you are turning the water on full, and the screw can be under the handle hood. Once you find and remove the screw with an allen key, the tap head will come off, allowing access to a large nut that retains the cartridge. Once the nut is undone, you can pull out the cartridge and take it to your nearest Bunnings store for a helpful team member to match up with the correct replacement.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

I tried to undo the nut but it was well and truly stuck so I could not get the cartridge out. I bought a new Dorf Villa from Bunnings instead. Thanks for your help.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

That's a shame, @kantoon.  It sounds like it would be easier to replace the tap, so good decision there. Let us know if you have any questions about the installation.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects