Workshop
Ask a question

How to repair swollen kick board?

nataliepratt
Just Starting Out

How to repair swollen kick board?

The kitchen kick boards need to be repaired as they have some exposed places that have swollen timber. Unfortunately they are 18 years old and are the type where the cupboards actually sit on top of them. I cannot put new kick boards in front of them as the original builder had to do this to fix a flooring issue. I'm thinking of some sort of stick on vinyl contact that I can then paint over. Would appreciate any ideas.

1000002117.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: kitchen kivk boardd

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @nataliepratt. It's great to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about repairing kickboards.

I think the most thorough repair would involve cutting out the kickboards and replacing them entirely. I suspect the cabinet carcasses will also be supporting the unit, so you should be able to cur the kickboards out. Alternatively, you could consider sanding back the swollen areas and adhering CUSTOMpine 3mm 2400 x 1200 White Backing Board MDF MR E0 that has been cut into suitably sized strips. You must paint their exposed MDF rear face and edge to prevent moisture ingress when mopping the floors. It's likely been water exposure to your current kickboard that has caused them to swell.

Vinyl is not a bad idea, but you'd need to sand the kickboard smoothly so the roughness isn't seen through the vinyl.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects