Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Do you need to remove doors to paint the wall?

Henski
Cultivating a Following

Do you need to remove doors to paint the wall?

Hi, we are looking into repainting the interior of our 2 bedroom unit.

the interior doors for 2 rooms have been removed for a renovation that has been done.

we are considering to leave them off since we plan to get all new interior doors and paint the unit.

question, when a interior painter applies paint to the rooms,do the interior doors need to be removed off their hinges anyway? Tx

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Do you need to remove doors to paint the wall?

Hi @Henski,

The painters will be able to paint quite easily with the doors still hung. However, painting the frames, and the doors themselves if required, would be easier if you were to leave them off.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Henski
Cultivating a Following

Tx, we are deciding in what order to proceed.

buy 4 interior doors and have them hung and then commence painting, including the door sills

or wait and paint the whole place and then buy and hang new doors, what is ur suggestion on which to choose ? Tx

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @Henski 

I suggest painting the whole place first, you do have the option of ordering the doors ahead of time, but I don't recommend installing them. I propose waiting for the paint to dry and then having the doors installed.

My best suggestion is to make sure to give your doors allowance for the coat of paint that will be placed on top of the doors surface. Having the doors installed too close to the frame means that when you paint the doors it will run into the door frames painted surface. A gap must be provided so that the doors open freely.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects