Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Door frame coming out due to heavy door

atul221282
Growing in Experience

Door frame coming out due to heavy door

Hi Team,

I have install the old door back into the door frame using slider from bunnings. However I have noticed that after installing the door the door frame is coming out a little due to weight of the door. I have also got the tv mount on the opposite side of this wall using stud. I am just wondering what should I use to fix this door frame issue. I am confused between using good adhesive or screw it to the stud. Any advice guys?

I have attached image for the reference

20221113_172057.jpg20221113_172049.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Door frame coming out due to heavy door

Hello @atul221282

It appears that the timber mounting panel has lifted from the wall. I suggest removing the sliding door first so that nothing else will get damaged. Next look for one of the mounting screws used to attach the mounting panel to the wall and take one out. Observe the pattern of the screws that were used to attach the panel to the wall. Are they actually screwed into the wall or were they just attached to the plasterboard?

It's important to see that the panel is secured to a timber stud inside the wall. When re-attaching the timber panel, I suggest moving the screws to another location to make sure that they are attached to the timber stud in the wall. If the panel is actually not attached to any timber stud in the wall, please let me know and I will suggest other recommendations.

Please keep us updated with your progress, we look forward to seeing your sliding door installed.  

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
atul221282
Growing in Experience

I checlked and can say that panel is secured to a timber stud inside the wall. I think the screws (securing panel to the stud) are coming out due to the wieght and the house movement. I think as you mentioned I need to screw in the panel again using new screws but on different location on stud.

Can you please suggest what type of screws and process should I follow? TIA

Kind Regards,

Atul

Hi @atul221282,

I'd suggest using Zenith 14G x 75mm Galvanised Type 17 Batten Bugle Head Timber Screws and fixing two into each stud. One screw above the sliding rail and one below it. You'll need to pre-drill the holes with a 4mm drill bit to prevent the timber from cracking. I've put a rendering together below for you to illustrate better.

Like @EricL mentioned, remove the door before re-fixing the mounting timber.

Please let us know if you have further questions.

Mitchell

Hi MItchell and team members,

Merry Xmas and Happy New Year. I just want to say thanks to you. Your solution worked like a charm. I have the same issue in few other spots which I am going to fix with the solution above.

Quick question - I have same issue of panel coming out but it is with the concrete/brick wall near the laundry. Do you know which screws can I use and what size and predill size if required? Also the color of my frame is glossy white and just wondering if I can have screws in white color in bunnigs?

Thanks once again

Merry Xmas and Happy new year

Atul

Hi @atul221282. Merry Xmas and Happy New Year to you too.

It's great to hear that you've had success! For the concrete/brick wall, I'd suggest using Ramset 6 x 75mm Countersunk DynaBolt Plus Masonry Anchors. They'll require a 6mm hole drilled through the timber and into the concrete/brick.

Mitchell

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects