Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How do I do a Boho effect on a dark timber TV cabinet?

Bigmal
Just Starting Out

How do I do a Boho effect on a dark timber TV cabinet?

The TV cabinet is about 3000 long and is solid timber.

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How do I do a Boho effect on a dark timber TV cabinet?

Hello @Bigmal 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's marvellous to have you join us, and thank you for sharing your question about painting your TV cabinet.

It all depends on the type of boho paint style you're after. There are those who like shabby Sheek, feather stencil type and paint layering.

Among the three, paint layering would be relatively easy to do. It starts out with a single colour topcoat then followed by a darker coat but only covering the sides and edges of the the cabinet. As you progress with more coats it gradually goes darker and only the edges of the cabinet will be painted at this point. You now have the choice of adding brush marks to the cabinet and adding dark highlights near the handles and door edges.

I suggest looking for an inspirational picture you would like to emulate. Once you find a paint style you would like to try, please post a sample and we will make recommendations on how you can achieve the look you are going for.

Here is a handy step-by-step guide: How to restore wooden furniture (the preparation steps are applicable to your project)

Let me call on our experienced members @prettyliving, @lifestylebymari and @redbournreno for their recommendations.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: How do I do a Boho effect on a dark timber TV cabinet?

Hi @Bigmal,

Let me also extend a very warm welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. We're looking forward to reading all about your projects and plans for around the house and garden.

Could we please trouble you for a photo of your TV cabinet? You might also like to share an image or two of a piece of furniture you would like to emulate. That way members can see what you are working with and provide more specific advice. 

Thanks,

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects