Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How do I paint end wall a darker colour with precision?

Moragajagga
Growing in Experience

How do I paint end wall a darker colour with precision?

We have a long hallway that seems even longer looking down to the end wall.  We want to paint it a darker colour (not a complete contrast) so that it pops or comes forward, to take focus away from the length.   

We haven't had a lot of experience with any interior decorating, and so want tips on how to paint with precision so that we don't see any accidental little marks on the light paint (I'm OCD and so it will bug me if I look up close and see a little wiggle line, etc LOL).

The other option we thought about is the easy wall planks, painted, to also add textures

As our home is open planned, to paint the hallway is not an option as it will mean painting other wallsIMG-3121.jpgIMG-3120.jpg

Appreciate suggestions!

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How do I paint end wall a darker colour with precision

Hello @Moragajagga 

Thanks for sharing your question about painting your walls. One way to shift your focus is to put a darker colour at the end of the hall. Putting a feature wall at the end breaks up the white neutral colour of the hallway and gives the area definition. Another item you can add is a coloured hallway runner. 

Designers often add colour through the items they add into the room. In this manner it's easy to change it as the season passes without having to repaint the entire hall.

I've placed a sample image below to give you an idea of what it might look like.

Let me call on our experienced members @prettyliving, @redbournreno and @lifestylebymari for their recommendations. 

Here are some handy step-by-step guides:

Please remember to use personal protection such as gloves, goggles and a paint mask when starting your paint project.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Moragajagga
Growing in Experience

Oh WOW!  That pic looks fabulous. Simple changes but what a transformation. Thanks so much Eric.  🙏Now to choose a colour 🥺.  Curious on thoughts of the planks (vertical or horizontal) although I don’t want to overdo it. I’m loving the look you created. 🤗

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @Moragajagga 

Since you were curious about what it might look like with the wall planks, I've done two versions for you. One with the Easycraft 2400 x 1200mm 9mm Lining Panel White MRMDF Primed VJ 100mm painted in blue and the other with floor laminated panels.

Both features look very nice and will provide the same effect as the painted wall. I'll leave the material and colour choice up to you. Please have a look at the photos and tell me what you think.

If you need further assistance, please let me know.

Eric

Moragajagga
Growing in Experience

Hi Eric

Thanks again for your suggestions and advice. I love that you can create these pictures - it helps to visualise.  What is the program?

I don't mind the blue paneling although not keen on the actual colour - I like the darker colour in the first picture and the idea of the paneling - we'd probably remove the clock as it actually doesn't really go with the pictures we have hanging on the side walls. I'm not a fan of the wood paneling. 

We don't mind this pattern for the runner: https://www.bunnings.com.au/ideal-diy-67cm-bristol-ribbed-blue-carpet-runner_p6621636   its a very long hall, broken up by a small hall running off it - so the longer part is 6m but would go for about 4.5m and then the next part is 3m and so would go about 2.5m- break it up rather than one very long hall runner!!   Is there a way of 'sealing' the cuts/ends so that they don't fray/wear?

Again - very thankful for your reply - I have felt hopeless about what to do and have really inspired me!  🙂

IMG-3126.jpg

IMG-3125.jpg

IMG-3130.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Moragajagga 

I'm using Photoshop to add the colour and carpet to your picture. The Ideal DIY 67cm Bristol Ribbed Blue Carpet Runner is an excellent choice as it is a rubber backed carpet and does not require the ends to be stitched shut. However, if you do encounter fraying you can seal off the damage by applying superglue to the damaged section of the carpet.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

Moragajagga
Growing in Experience

Thanks Eric for your suggestions!  Now to decide on a paint colour.   Will post a picture of the finished product in a few weeks!

Keep us updated @Moragajagga, and please reach out again if you need further assistance.

Mitchell

Thanks MitchellMc.   I’ve ended up ordering two hall rugs for the space. We’ve booked a colour consult at the end of June and so will then paint the end wall. Will definitely post a pic when done!

I'll be looking forward to it @Moragajagga!

Mitchell

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects