Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to cool a room in a rental home?

Kate98
Just Starting Out

How to cool a room in a rental home?

Hi, we are in a rented studio flat, so nothing that could mark the glass or damage it can be done. 

We have large sliding patio doors, which from sunrise to sundown heat up and make the room boiling hot. We have blinds but there is gaps, letting sun in even more, installing curtains as it is a rental is not an option. 

20231213_084710.jpg

We have bought an AC unit, but unless its running, we are uncomfortably hot- and we cannot afford to run this all day if we are in the flat. 

If you can think of any ways to block the sun from coming in please let me know!!

20231213_084659.jpg

20231213_084710.jpg20231213_084659.jpg

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: How to cool a room in a rental home?

Hi @Kate98,

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. We're pleased to have you join us. 

Sorry to read of your issue. I suspect that community members aren't going to have any solutions for you other than talking to your landlord. They need to ensure your home is liveable and comfortable. The best solution might be a combination of things. For example, installing both external blinds to stop as much sun hitting your windows and doors in the first place, as well as better internal blinds. Double glazing would also be a boon. 

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to cool a room in a rental home?

Hello @Kate98 

I'm sorry to hear that you're having trouble with the sun shining into your room and causing too much heat. The typical solutions such as putting heat reflective window film and block out curtains and blinds require you to speak to your rental manager or landlord. If you are living in a place with a body corporate even putting in shade sail on your pergola frame outside will require permission.

I propose thinking about using your existing vertical blind tracks as an anchor for shade cloth. I also suggest installing the window film over the glass and fixing it temporarily in place with tape. This will help in reducing the temperature in the room. 

Let me call on our experienced members @Peggers and @prettyliving for their recommendations.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.   

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects