Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to fill a giant void above window?

HowardMoon
Just Starting Out

How to fill a giant void above window?

How to fill a giant void left behind after removing some wood panelling above a window?

The hole is 2.8m wide and 25cm high. Can I insert some vertical timber from the bottom of the beams (60cm apart) to the top of the window frame. Is this enough for the plaster board to attach to? or do I need to build some sort of frame to support the weight of the plasterboard? What timber is required for this space? Do I need to use thicker plaster for better insulation?

Retro wood panellingRetro wood panellingGiant void left behindGiant void left behindInterior and beamsInterior and beams

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to fill a giant void left behind after removing some wood panelling above a window?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @HowardMoon. It's brilliant to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about covering a void.

I'd suggest that the best option would be to create a frame constructed from 90 x 35mm Pine that is screwed into the adjacent timbers, which the plaster is then mounted onto. You could install vertical timber instead at 60cm apart, but there is nothing to fix the top and perhaps the bottom of the sheeting onto, so I suspect you'll have issues with movement at those points.

If you're concerned about insulation, I'd recommend installing some foam board within the frame and area before sheeting over it.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Re: How to fill a giant void left behind after removing some wood panelling above a window?

Thank you for the advice. I'll have a crack at building the frame, I'm a newbie so would I need to drill pilot holes in the timber frame before using screws?

Are these the right screws for the timber frame? Zenith 10 - 8 x 75mm Galvanised Countersunk Rib Head Timber Screws - 50 Pack

Would those screws be OK to connect the frame to the existing timber and beams?

Are these the right screws for attaching the plasterboard? Zenith 6G - 18 x 40mm Needle Point Gold Passivated Plasterboard Screw - 35 Pack

Those screws would be suitable for the frame and connections and also for fixing the plasterboard @HowardMoon

It's always best to pre-drill holes as it helps with the assembly process and prevents timber splits. A 3mm drill bit would be suitable.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects