Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to fill the holes and gouge in my door?

vica
Having an Impact

How to fill the holes and gouge in my door?

Hi, mates.Good morning!

The handle of my bedroom (image1) is out of work. I removed the old handle and now there are two holes in the door( image2)

Second problem ,the flush pull of new handle is 7mm length,but the old is 12mm, much bigger than new one. (Image3)The old handle also left a gouge in the door.( image 4)I need your guild to fill these holes and gouge before I install a new handle.The thickness of the door is 40mm. Thank you so much!

vica

612121FE-6CE8-4111-94BE-2685FE238AD3.jpeg

CE14CBBC-4EA8-461B-B9E6-16B8F336D9D1.jpeg

0AC97153-7A96-4BB0-9E29-EBFB342795ED.jpeg

1A995D72-34B1-49F7-9481-2793C30F5486.jpeg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: how to fill the holes and gouge

@Brad,

Do you think it would be possible to cut out a square from the front skin with a multitool that encompasses the damage? A new skin section could be glued in place if the cutout was large enough to reveal the un-squashed honeycomb surrounding the damage. Perhaps 3mm Standard MDF - 600mm x 1200mm could be used. That way, @newfast would only need to fill and blend the join around the perimeter of the square patch.

If not actually sure if that would be a simpler method than trying to fill the unstable structure which remains.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

That's unfortunate, @newfast. I can see how you'd want to keep them in a similar style.

Mitchell

Screenshot_20210817-111848.png

 can this methodology work ? Offer from AT for $195

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @newfast,

That methodology certainly covers the general principles of the repair and is much the same as what @Brad and I have suggested. Obviously, I am not in a position to determine the skills or experience of the tradesperson, but that approach sounds reasonable.

Mitchell

Hi @MitchellMc ,

Thank you for your ongoing guidance and support. I am just not game enough to DIY as I do not have the skill.

I have only got 1 offer drom AT at this stage and overall 5* with 92% compleation rate. Some bad reviews too but nothing is perfect.

I will have to visit Bunnings to see if colour can be matched for paint

Brad
Kind of a Big Deal

Colour match should be easy given you have some rather large chunks to work with, last time I used the service I had a chip that wouldn't cover 5 cents and they got it right. Bigger is better when matching colours.

Brad
Kind of a Big Deal

I had a similar thought @MitchellMc but using the plaster board method of having some bracing stuck that the board could sit on, Honeycomb structure would also give the bracing. Some expanding foam would help I think. 50/50 given the need for a multitool but you then have something for later projects and some experience.

r23on
Amassing an Audience

Having a good look at this issue using a bog or epoxy will not do the job. the door is hollow and the epoxy will finish up costing more than the door is worth.

It has been suggested to cut and insert a new section and would work well. I am not sure but the door looks like a corinthian door, if so I would look at their styles for a match which would be the better approach.

I need to add, some DIYs are just not worth doing due to the cost factor. However in this case I would do the cut and replace approach. for me it is the cheapest method and I just checked the bunnings site for a sheet of masonite. 

But before entering into this task check if the door is available. The cut and replace method is easy enough but will take time. If you decide to cut and replace make sure you cut on the inside and follow the shape of the decorative frame as this will become the template for the replacement section

newfast
Having an Impact

@r23on thank you for the detailed message

I am still reading and asking about it and haven't finalised anything. Another trady told me that It's a big hole. Cost about $300 for 1 tub of builders putty, paint and labour.

Cutting method make more sense as inside will look weird but thats ok. I won't be doing it perhaps I need to look for a Carpenter or tradie handyman (so hard to find)

I have also contacted the below site to see if I can dend pics of the door to find a replacement door.

https://www.corinthian.com.au/

newfast
Having an Impact

PXL_20210818_213435429.jpg

PXL_20210818_213429979.jpg

I think @MitchellMc mentiones in one of the earlier posts that the right hand side crack might be an issue, I have taken a close up pic, not sure how the cutting from behind will  work when it is kinda getting into the design....

I don't think I be getting any1 from AT for this. If anyone knows an ezperiences carpenter in North Rocks/Carlingford area - please advise.

I am hoping I can find a new door and then perhaps fix this to use somewhwre it is not that visible.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects