Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to fill the holes and gouge in my door?

vica
Having an Impact

How to fill the holes and gouge in my door?

Hi, mates.Good morning!

The handle of my bedroom (image1) is out of work. I removed the old handle and now there are two holes in the door( image2)

Second problem ,the flush pull of new handle is 7mm length,but the old is 12mm, much bigger than new one. (Image3)The old handle also left a gouge in the door.( image 4)I need your guild to fill these holes and gouge before I install a new handle.The thickness of the door is 40mm. Thank you so much!

vica

612121FE-6CE8-4111-94BE-2685FE238AD3.jpeg

CE14CBBC-4EA8-461B-B9E6-16B8F336D9D1.jpeg

0AC97153-7A96-4BB0-9E29-EBFB342795ED.jpeg

1A995D72-34B1-49F7-9481-2793C30F5486.jpeg

r23on
Amassing an Audience

Re: how to fill the holes and gouge

The cut and replace method is not just cut the shape and pop the the new section in place there is a bit more to it and to explain using this site is a task of its own. Cutting the new section would need to be done by hand and not using electrical type tool as they would cause more damage.

The cost of $300 you have two new doors. In the past I had Corinthian make me a set of doors. There is also another option you could follow up and that is to look up a local door manufacturer who could make an identical door plus primed ready for painting

The other approach is to go to your local mens shed and in most cases there is a retired tradesman who has the skills to replace the section. The cost, a few dollars and no bog

I think this question has been asked do the doors need to be the profile if not your last option is to replace both door as they are not in a main area.

What state and suburb are you in and I can fined a mens shed for you

r23on
Amassing an Audience

If you are interested I have found some mens sheds that my be able to help

https://www.hornsbymensshed.org.au/ 

https://parramattadms.org/ 

newfast
Having an Impact

@r23on 

I am in Carlingford close to North Rocks Rd, will check out Men's Shed - I do not know much about the process but will find out.

I am hoping some of the door manufacturers will reply as I have senr couple of emails to JedVan and another one in St Marys

newfast
Having an Impact

Thank you

Do you just turn up there (ofcorse after covid lockdown) and discuss the issue to be fixed

newfast
Having an Impact

I yet to hear from the Manshed but I have contacted another tradie via True Locals and he has sent me a detailed quote 

@r23on @MitchellMc @Brad  could you pleaae review the svope of Opyion 1 and Option 2 and see if this is what you meant about cutting 

Screenshot_20210819-202602.png

 better pic's

Screenshot_20210819-203207.png

Screenshot_20210819-203141.png

r23on
Amassing an Audience

option 2 sounds very much as to what i was suggesting cutting the entire section inside the moulding.

MDF will never give you the same finish as masonite try for the 3.2mm masonite if you can. do you have a time frame on this quote?

r23on
Amassing an Audience

their web site have phone numbers etc give a call 

newfast
Having an Impact

I have emailed Hornsby and let's see !

newfast
Having an Impact

I can ask him to requote using 3.2mm masonite or why he thinks MDF is better.

Op 1-$180 and Op2-$280 lrts see how much it be Masonite.

Corinthian Doors also replied they do not have this type door...waiting for another ,couple

TedBear
Kind of a Big Deal

Hi @newfast, I've been following this thread with interest... you seem to have gathered up a number of options.

The repair is still within the scope of either D-I-Y or a Menshed project.

Having seen the fuller setting from the photos you sent, I can see that going through the back of the door is not a good option.

The way that the tradie is suggestion sounds like it is similar to what I would also now suggest that you (if you have the tools and desire to), or a Mens-shed do....

Remove the door so you can lay it flat:-

1) Put masking tape on the inner edge of the moulding to protect it from damage. (It will probably need painting, but let's minimise damage.)

2) Using a knife, pushing into the corner of the moulding and panel section to be removed at about 45 degrees, cut around the inner edges (not deep) to cut through the paint and also provide a guide for further cutting here.  Then cut around again at 90 degrees to the panel to widen the first cut a little.

3) Using a multi-tool with a saw fitted cut around the edges of the damaged panel right in where it joins the moulding (i.e. where you last cut a groove with the knife).  I suggest using the semi-circle saw blade as it self-cleans better and its larger surface area will guide it along the masked moulding without wandering off easily.

I suggest a multi-tool because there isn't enough depth in the door to get another type of saw in and move it in and out. You may have to cut any curved sections through with the knife.

4) Once the panel has been removed and edges cleaned up, you will need to use the removed panel section as a template to cut a new insert out of Masonite (allow for the extra the saw blade removed but it doesn't have to be too tight a fit anyway, else it may bend.)

5) you will also need to pack some timber inside the hole to hold the new panel at the right depth.  That would be made into a frame (but doesn't need to be joined at the corners) which you would glue to the back panel (cutting away any honeycomb infill that is in the way if the door has it. It will be easy to cut.).   The timber strips may need to be sanded, rasped, filed or whatever, to the right thickness to hold the new panel out correctly.

You can use some dobs of hot-melt glue to keep the strips in place initially.  Also put a strip or two across the middle to stop the panel bending inward.

6) Once it all looks like it will go in properly, apply liquid nails along the back edges of the strips to the hold them long term to thr back panel and also glue their outer surfaces, where the panel will touch them.    If you have some rubber suction pads, they may help you control the panel while you insert it.

(Dip them in warm water, dry quickly and press them onto the board. Push any air out the sides and they tend to stick ok.)

7) When the glue has dried (overnight?) fill the cut edges (which should be just a small gap) with some fine bog and sand smooth when dry. You may have to go over this twice to get a neat, invisible corner.

😎 Paint.  Refit.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects