Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to protect carpet from pets?

ivanptr
Making a Splash

How to protect carpet from pets?

20240429_143554.jpg

Hi brain trust,

I'm renting out two of my rooms, and both of these roommates have pets, which are common in my suburb.

I'm worried that even though these pets are trained, there could still be a small chance they could scratch or pee on the carpet.With a limited budget, I'm looking for some hacks to protect the carpet while still maintaining an aesthetically acceptable look.

Here's my idea: I found this plastic film

(https://www.bunnings.com.au/grunt-2m-x-5m-clear-70um-multi-use-plastic-film_p0412372)

which I plan to place on top of the carpet so if the pet pees, it won't get to the carpet.Then, I'll place foam mats on top of the film. They're easy to remove for cleaning

(https://www.bunnings.com.au/eva-50-x-50cm-black-solid-interlock-foam-mats-4-pack_p0126584?store=8212...)

However, i have 2 questions:

1)Which adhesive should I use to adhere all the plastic film and cover the entire lounge? The adhesive must prevent urine from seeping through the gaps between overlapping plastic film layers.

2) how can I secure the plastic film to the carpet? I don't need a permanent installation. Perhaps double-sided tape could work? If the foam mats and plastic film are just loosely placed on the carpet, they could easily be moved.

Does this plan sound good ?😆🤔

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to protect carpet from pets?

Hi @ivanptr,

Duct tape would be sufficient for joining sheeting together with occasional light wetting. However, I would do periodic inspections to ensure it hasn't been compromised. 

Double-sided tape sounds like the best solution for holding the sheeting down to the carpet. This Bear 48mm x 4.5m White Double Sided Tape should do the job.

Your plan sounds quite reasonable; I'd just ensure that any pee is cleaned up off or from underneath the Eva 50 x 50cm Black Solid Interlock Foam Mats as soon as possible, as it might penetrate the surface, leading to odours.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects