Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to refit lower hanging rod in walk-in robe?

SillyGrandma
Finding My Feet

How to refit lower hanging rod in walk-in robe?

Hi. I slipped over in walk in robe recently, falling onto the lower clothes hanging rod. This has ripped it out of the wall, leaving an odd shaped hole . I am aware of how to patch the hole, but surely it wont be strong enough to support the hanging rod ? I cant put it elsewhere as the other end of rod is still attached to opposite wall. It cant be higher as it will be in the way of clothes hanging on upper rod. Any lower and clothes would drag on the floor.. what should I do? I thought of removing a large section of plaster and adding a noggin between existing studs... is there an easier way? Thanks in anticipation. Photo attached. 

20230101_222131.jpg

Jewelleryrescue
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: How do I refit lower hanging rod in walk in robe

hi @SillyGrandma

Because  it was an accident and unlikly to happen again I dont think you need the full nogging support and if you did the other end might go instead.

Fix A

Its great you can patch the hole.  Now lets say you cut the ragged hole to a square shape now cut a piece of repair gyprock to fit loosly in the hole to  the same square shape.  Now we need to cut a piece of scrap timber (marked orange in pic) 6xmm ply thick  up to say 19 mm timber board the shape and the size is going to be longer inside the wall to  span across the  hole but narrower to fit through hole and glued and screwed inside the wall as a  plate.The orange timber  can be any angle or vertical.  This is you plaster re enforcement for mounting the repair on to.   Then you can screw glue your new gyprock  plate  on top of the timber support and  start using the plastering mesh to cover join gaps and apply  gyprock plaster and you know the rest.

Orange timber behind   gyprockOrange timber behind gyprock

Plan B no gyprocking  Simply cut a square of timber  the white square to cover the  whole of the hole and a bit more and glue it with sufficent room around it add 2 to 4 screws to  hold it to gyprock.  You may need to trim rod length down a bit depending on  wood thickness.  Or  drill out timber to fit rod into directly into timber hole  no screw mounting ring required.  

Ps I would turn the square 45 degrees to make diamond shape  or cut out  a love heart shape if you want to be crafty but then you will want one  each  end.

Have fun :smile: 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @SillyGrandma. It's brilliant to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about repairing a hanging rail.

I'd agree with @Jewelleryrescue . Timber section behind the plaster, and then a cut section of repair panel plaster glued and screwed onto the timber to fill the hole. You'll then need to use plaster filler to cover the screw heads and gaps. I've put some renderings together for you to help illustrate.

Just a square of timber screwed over the hole would likely do the job in a pinch too.

Please let us know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

R1.pngS2.png

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

This is great. Thanks so much MitchellMc and . @Jewelleryrescue I understand, just didnt know if it was going to be strong enough. It normally holds a lot of shirts.. anyway, one small thing, looking at your rendering, should i be using phillips head screws. Specifically i never know what type of screws is best..esp when drilling through plaster into wood as in this case. When standing in front of the rows and rows of fixings in Bunnings how does a persom begin to choose...?

Phillips head is the go-to screw for most scenarios @SillyGrandma. Far better than a flat head, and there's no real need to go for something fancy like a Torx bit. A standard Phillips head timber screw will go through the plaster no problems.

Here's a helpful guide we put together just for your situation: How to choose the right screw for the job.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Hi @SillyGrandma 

In bunnings store look for plaster board  screws or  wood screws  They have their own labled section in store with the phillips Bugle head screws 8G x 40mm long as a guide

Thanks i will head there tomorrow if theres nothing in my collection 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects