Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to replace an internal door?

Thoo
Getting Established

How to replace an internal door?

Hello community,

I'm looking to replace an internal door (see pic below) to a more solid timber one, for soundproof purposes.

It currently measures 2037mm (height) x 817mm (width) x 34mm (thickness), and is hinged using a butt hinge with a removable pin.

I've found a solid timber door which I can purchase, but it measures 2040mm x 820mm x 40mm. 

The differences in height and width shouldn't be a problem as there is room to accommodate the extra few mm, but I'm wondering what would be the best solution to hinge the door due to the different thickness of the new door?  

Thanks in advance!

20231110_065235.jpg

20231110_065253.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Replacing an internal door

No difference in the hinging mechanism @Thoo. In fact, you can probably use the same hinges. You'll find that since you're now using a thicker external door, it might not sit fully within the rebated section of the door jamb. This won't prevent installation, the door might just be 6mm proud of the jamb.

If the difference in height and width do hinder installation, they can be trimmed to size.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects