Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to soundproof a music studio?

Wolf
Finding My Feet

How to soundproof a music studio?

I am researching max soundproofing for a music studio.

13mm acoustic plaster about 45db.

My question is.

Can I use standard or structural plywood on the inside of the plasterboard for further sound reduction and what is the db rating if various bunnings plywood???

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to soundproof a music studio?

Hi @Wolf,

Adding a layer of plywood would likely help with the acoustic deadening. However, plywood isn't designed for that purpose, so acoustic testing wouldn't have been done on it. Instead of plywood, you might like to consider acoustic panels, that will dampen the sound vibration through the wall.

Are you insulating the wall with acoustic insulation like Earthwool Soundshield?

Another interesting construction method is isolating the sheeting from the rooms next to them. This involves changing the stud work so they are staggered. This means that the sheets in each room are not physically connected by the same studs. Apparently, this is used in sound studios to isolate the room and prevent vibrations from travelling through the sheets and stud work. If you're interested in modifying the stud work, I can draw up a rendering to show you what I mean.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects