Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to use a standard internal door as barn door?

luke94
Just Starting Out

How to use a standard internal door as barn door?

hey i want to use my existing internal door as a sliding barn door. is it possible to remove my existing door, bog and sand back where the check

outs for hinges are and the door handle hole? Then paint and rehang on a sliding barn door

rail kit

thanks

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: hey i want to use my existing internal door as a sliding barn door. is it possible to frame u...

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @luke94. It's great to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about installing a barn door.

There is nothing inherently different between a barn door and a standard door. However, when selecting a barn door, you typically select a door that is larger than the door frame. That way, when it's closed, it covers the opening entirely. Your door will be the same size as the opening, so there will be visible gaps around it, and I'm not sure how appealing that look will be. Perhaps you could add timber around the door to widen it to suit the opening.

The method you've suggested would work well if you were happy with the under-sized look.

Check out this helpful step-by-step guide: How to build a barn door with VJ panels. You could potentially add additional framing around the door to increase the size and then clad the front and back with VJ panels. That might work a treat.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects