Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Textured wallpaper nightstand makeover - Faux 3D timber furniture

daniknight4
Becoming a Leader

Textured wallpaper nightstand makeover - Faux 3D timber furniture

When deciding on how to make a pair of little brown battered, beaten and bruised bedsides beautiful:) the first thing I thought of was textured 3D vinyl wallpaper. I love the look of this on furniture because I feel it gives the piece a look of carved decorated timber without much effort at all. I have a few tips and I have also put a link to a video which documents the whole process but in saying that I'm not an expert and I just go with the flow to see what works and what might be an issue.

Materials

• A pair of old bedside tables 
  • Textured wallpaper
  • Patterned wallpaper
  • PVA glue
  • Sugar soap
  • Parfix Multi-Purpose Wood filler
  • Calcium carbonate
  • Mistint sample pot size
  • Zinsser Water based primer
  • Zinsser Oil based primer
  • Blitz beeswax
  • Dishcloths
  • Lint free cloth
  • Rubber floor protectors and grips
  • Craft coasters

Tools

• Orbital sander
  • Paint brushes 
  • Scissors
  • Drill
  • Screwdriver
  • Fine sanding block
  • 80 grit sanding paper
  • Small utility knife

Steps

Step 1

Deciding on which piece I wanted to transform. I chose these a lil bit worse for wear solid timber brown bedside tables.

They definitely were worse for wear but had potential!They definitely were worse for wear but had potential! 

Step 2

Originally, I was going to sand all four drawers, but I changed my mind. The first step was to measure, position and drill the hardware holes. 

Measuring and positioning hardware holes was the first step.Measuring and positioning hardware holes was the first step.Drilling into the timber before it's painted means I don't have to worry about potential mistakes in positioning.Drilling into the timber before it's painted means I don't have to worry about potential mistakes in positioning.

Step 3

Using my trusty to sugarsoap to thoroughly clean the drawers. I spray with water to wash any residue off.

Using sugar soap removes dirt and residue.Using sugar soap removes dirt and residue.

Step 4

I wanted the textured wallpaper on the sides of both of the drawers and also on the front of the drawers so I measured the panels and cut to size.

Textured wallpaper for my bedsides.Textured wallpaper for my bedsides.Measuring and cutting the wallpaper for the panels.Measuring and cutting the wallpaper for the panels.

Step 5

I used PVA glue to apply the pieces to the drawers and sides of the tables. It was important to wipe over the paper and smooth out making sure there were no air bubbles or creases. When applying the glue, I made sure the panel was covered carefully to the very edges to prevent future peeling.

PVA glue works great when applying the textured vinyl to the panels.PVA glue works great when applying the textured vinyl to the panels.Applying liberally.Applying liberally.Making sure the glue is spread to cover the entire panel.Making sure the glue is spread to cover the entire panel.I took my time making sure the wallpaper was properly adhered .I took my time making sure the wallpaper was properly adhered .I also covered the sides.I also covered the sides.On bigger wallpaper pieces I tend to stick from the top and slowly stick and smooth down as I go towards the base.On bigger wallpaper pieces I tend to stick from the top and slowly stick and smooth down as I go towards the base.

Step 6

I had to use wood filler to fill some holes at the top but went berserk and applyed it to the whole panel. The idea behind this was to fill in the grooves in the timber and make it one smooth panel. I wouldn't do this again I don't think because I had to sand back extremely hard, exposing the timber. This created a problem with tanin bleed through when I painted.

Covering the top with wood filler.Covering the top with wood filler.It took ages to sand this back, this filler is amazing and can be used for indoor and outdoor projects.It took ages to sand this back, this filler is amazing and can be used for indoor and outdoor projects.Applying the primer.Applying the primer.Noticing some bleed through from the exposed timeber.Noticing some bleed through from the exposed timeber.

Step 7

I decided to use an oil-based primer to cover the tannin bleed. As I was selling this I wanted to be sure there was no danger of marks coming through the paint.

Ultra tough stain blocker.Ultra tough stain blocker.

Step 8

I did the leave the glued wallpaper to dry overnight as I always sand the edges so that they appear seamless and blend into the timber. It needs to be completely dry and hard so there is no danger of the paper tearing. As these drawers were shaped I decided to slice off some of the paper just so it was easier to remove any paper hanging over the edge. I don't wrap my paper around the drawers, I just place it on the front hence the need for the sanding and smoothing steps.

Taking off excess paper.Taking off excess paper.This step makes it a bit quicker to sand the overhang.This step makes it a bit quicker to sand the overhang.Sanding down so it is seamless and smooth is so satisfying:)Sanding down so it is seamless and smooth is so satisfying:)Also sanding the edges of the sides.Also sanding the edges of the sides.

Step 9

I make my own chalk paint and normally use talcum powder but all baby powder now is using cornstarch which doesn't work as well. Calcium carbonate can also be added to the paint to make chalk paint so I bought some of this and added it to my paint. I buy mistint paint pots for $2. The great thing about this is the price but also I come across colors I wouldn't think of using myself but are so beautiful!

Calcium carbonate to make chalk paint.Calcium carbonate to make chalk paint.These little mistint paint pots will just do two bedside tables.These little mistint paint pots will just do two bedside tables.Adding the calcium carbonate to the paint.Adding the calcium carbonate to the paint.

Step 10

I used two coats of paint in total but had to put three on the top as when I sanded it, it went screaky. I applied some pretty wallpaper to the sides, applied the handles and floor protectors, waxed for protection and made some cute little coasters that I always sell with my pieces. The result was so pretty and such a stretch from where I started!

Applying the chalk paint.Applying the chalk paint.I ended up painting three coats on the top.I ended up painting three coats on the top.Pretty wallpaper looked lovely on the drawer sides.Pretty wallpaper looked lovely on the drawer sides.No stress applying beautiful gold metal handles in predrilled holes.No stress applying beautiful gold metal handles in predrilled holes.Floor protectors a must.Floor protectors a must.I always wax which gives the paint a lovely matte sheen.I always wax which gives the paint a lovely matte sheen.Lil coasters using craft coasters and wallpaperLil coasters using craft coasters and wallpaperI love the end piece...so pretty.I love the end piece...so pretty.40.png41.png42.png

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Textured Wallpaper Nightstand Makeover | Faux 3D Timber Furniture DIY Decor

Wow @daniknight4! What a super-cool project! I'm really lovely these upcycles utilising textured wallpaper. It adds such a unique look to the piece. 

Your instructions are fantastic, and I trust they'll be ever so helpful for anyone wanting to replicate your project or try something similar.

Thanks so much for sharing, and well done!

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Re: Textured wallpaper nightstand makeover - Faux 3D timber furniture

Good Afternoon @daniknight4 

That certainly has come up nice, and if I hadnt seen you use the textured wallpaper I probarly would have wonder how did you do it! I think it brings it into a very modern look! And the finishing is briliant!

Nice job

Dave

Re: Textured Wallpaper Nightstand Makeover | Faux 3D Timber Furniture DIY Decor

Thank you @MitchellMc 

Im still learning too but there maybe something in there to help someone😊🌸

Thanks so much @Dave-1 

I love it and also if you have a piece of furniture that is badly damaged it might be easier to just use this to cover up the damage😊🌸

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @daniknight4 

I love your wallpaper technique. This is an excellent method to use on those furniture sets that have a difficult surface to recover. Plus, it's a great way to add texture to an existing piece. It's definitely getting added to my bookmarks.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thank you @EricL it was rewarding to see the end product😊

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects