Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Remote control holder

Imenz
Building a Reputation

Remote control holder

The box joints were made using only hand saws, chisels and files, just like the old days before power tools.  The joints are held together using only glue, no nails or screws.  I just wanted to prove to myself that I could do it.

24ABF075-6280-4863-B380-3261C78074DE.jpegED3FE05B-E567-4AFB-A8C0-020A495A6EF7.jpeg

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Remote control holder

Lovely work @Imenz, well done!

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
MitchellM
Amassing an Audience

@Imenz Great to see some solid wood joins! Would like to see some in progress pictures of how you go about it, if you have any.

I am a Bunnings team member. Any opinions or recommendations shared here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Bunnings. Visit the Bunnings website for assistance from the customer service team.

Imenz
Building a Reputation

Hi MitchellM

unfortunately I didn’t make a ‘youtube’ video, probably just as well as it would have been very, very long and boring.  There were copious amounts of filing even after fine work with a chisel to get them to fit together.  Even then they weren’t perfect, though the glue covers some of the gaps and wood filler other fine gaps the glue didn’t.  As I had never attempted ‘box joints’ before, I did a lot of research on the internet to find out how it was done and some improvisation along the way.  I have attached some links which might be useful.

https://woodworkjunkie.com/how-to-make-quality-hand-cut-finger-joints

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=B6f-T2Xk8TU

MitchellM
Amassing an Audience

@Imenz I understand, a lot of the time when I'm making a project I forget to take pics along the way, too busy concentrating on getting the job done.

Can't wait till you post your next project!

I am a Bunnings team member. Any opinions or recommendations shared here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Bunnings. Visit the Bunnings website for assistance from the customer service team.

evjay
Getting Established

Lovely job.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects