Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Entertainment cabinet made from scrap wood

kel
Making a Splash

Entertainment cabinet made from scrap wood

IMG_0651.JPG

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: entertainment cabinet,made from fence palings and scrap decking boards

Hi @kel,

As this project is currently being featured on the Bunnings website, could you please tell us how you went about creating the cabinet?

If you could tell us the tools and materials you used, I'm sure Workshop community members who are inspired by your handiwork would find it most helpful for making something themselves. 

Thanks again for sharing your work.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
kel
Making a Splash

well the list of materials that was used in this project were :-cypress pine fence pickets

masonite sheets

melamine shelf board

merbeau decking boards

2x4 timber

liquid nails

esterpol

hinges

clear perspex

screws,nails

4 castor wheels

all ,which is available at your local bunnings store.

the tools i used were:- sliding compound saw, router,drill and bits,hammer, sander, tape measure,square, caulking gun,,paint brush, clamps ,eye protection,breathing mask,ear plugs.table saw.

the first thing i did was  to cut the pthen ickets into small blocks using the compound saw, with a stop block so  all blocks were the same size, as you can see ,i used 2 different size blocks,with the second being twice the length of the first, so once again i set a stop block and cut the rest of the blocks.

then using 900x1200 mm masonite sheets, i glued the blocks to this,selecting the blocks to get an interesting effect with their diferent colour ,grain and knots. 3 sheets were done like this, then stacked on top of each other and weights placed on  and left for a week.2 of these sheets were used for the sides and the other for the top.

then i made a simple top and bottom frame from 2x4 to the dimensions of the space where i wanted to put the cabinet,less 50 mm,to allow for the sides thickness.then i attached the sides and used a piece of masonite  as the cabinet floor.this now gave me the inside dimensions that i had available to use,so i measured all the equipment that i wanted to put in the cabinet and then set about constructing each area accordingly,making the most of the available space,as you will see from the photos.the draws were all made using some tongue and groove cladding that i had,i just ripped the  sides of them and  made the drawers all of which have a force front on them made from the cypress pickets. the handles were all made from the decking boards and rounded over using the sander.the doors are also made from the pickets with a rebate for the perspex.usually when you make a cabinet ,you make the face frame first,i made mine  all most last, and it was made out of merbeau decking board,which i ripped to the sizes i needed.the top is made from the 3rd sheet that i did at the start and is cut into 3 sections  and trimmed down to the required sizes and attached with hinges.then i attached the castor wheels to the bottom,sanded it all and gave it a lick of esterpol.i hope this gives you a bit of an idea how i made  the cabinet,

cheers kelIMG_0643.jpgIMG_0640.JPGIMG_0645.JPGIMG_0644.JPG

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Brilliant, many thanks for the detail @kel. Fantastic work.

I'm looking forward to seeing how your creation inspires others. 

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects