Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Running wires inside the house

Sugar
Having an Impact

Running wires inside the house

Hi guys, 

My apologies if this is a completely unrelated and stupid question. 

I am wanting to put some speakers in different rooms and lounge areas coming through an AV receiver. I am wondering if there is anything or anyways I can run wires on the wall neatly.

At the moment, I am not really willing to run wires behind the plasterboard. 

Any suggestions will be highly appreciated. 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Running wires inside the house

Hi @Sugar,

Have you considered Bluetooth devices for this purpose? You could place an Amazon Echo Dot 3rd Gen Charcoal Smart Speaker in each of the rooms and connect to them via a 3.5mm audio jack or Bluetooth from your mobile/audio device. Alternatively, we stock a range of Permastik Small Cable Clips - 12 Pack or DETA 5mm White Flat Cable Clips - 20pk which you could use to fix the cable. If you wanted the cable concealed then D-Line 16 x 08mm 2m White Adhesive Cable Management Covers would be the least imposing ducting.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
wooshka
Making a Splash

Hi @Sugar , Have you considered running the wires in the ceiling, i dont know how big the speakers are if they can be wall mounted , because then you could run the wires down through the cornice.

But as @MitchellMc said smart speakers are the way to go now days  

redracer01
Kind of a Big Deal

Hello @Sugar 

I swear by this stuff. It hides everything and leaves your walls looking neat. Just make sure to use heavy duty double sided mounting tape. I run all my network cables through it. I wrap the turns in white electrical tape so you see no ugly colored cables poking out. 

Cheers,

Red 

Screenshot_2020-12-19-08-09-59-20.jpg

I am a Bunnings team member. Any opinions or recommendations shared here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Bunnings. Visit the Bunnings website for assistance from the customer service team.

consoletable
Building a Reputation

This might give you some ideas: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RD9foY_ptj8&t=12sHow to install a Projector on the Ceiling - With mo...

It's for mounting and hiding the cables of a projector, but the same principles apply.

MikeTNZ
Amassing an Audience

Hi @Sugar ,

As an Electrician, unless you want exposed capping, like redracer01 suggested, the wiring is going to have to go inside the walls.

Is this a rental property, where you can't do work like this?

However, if it isn't, it will take a bit of work, but you only need to do it once.

If you have a brick-veneer house, there will be a gap, between the plasterboard and the bricks.

Stay away from any power cables, for obvious reasons.

You need to buy a cable pulling rod, these are yellow.

In behind your TV/AV centre, make a small incision in the wall, next to a stud, big enough for a "flushbox".

From there, you can pull all of your wires up into the roof and to the speakers you require.

Even if it was a rental property, with the flush-box in there, you could still cover the hole up later on or just use a blank plate fitting.

If you need any further advice, by all means post a reply below.

Cheers,

Mike T.

MikeTNZ
Amassing an Audience

@redracer01 

Sorry,

Are you serious?

I wouldn't use trunking unless I really HAD to, it just looks the person that did the install couldn't find a better solution.

Even if I had to use it, I would mitre the corners and keep it neat.

And you always use screws into timber to hold it in place, not the tape that comes with it.

9 times out of 10, you can see this stuff in a house and the tape has taken the paint off the wall behind it and it's hanging down

quite forlornly.

In saying that though, I have used 200mm x 100mm trunking above switchboards and control panels, that's a different thing.

Hello @MikeTNZ 

I agree it's not the ideal solution, but for ease of use and installation in a rental property this is a good way to hide cables. Can't start drilling into the walls if I don't own the place. But I agree if it is your place then hire a sparky to do it right. My suggestion was based on diy effort and the possibility that it was a rental. I was not inferring that it was the ONLY solution. Perhaps @Sugar can give us more information and a better recommendation can be given. My apologies @MikeTNZ  if my suggestion offended you.

Red

I am a Bunnings team member. Any opinions or recommendations shared here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Bunnings. Visit the Bunnings website for assistance from the customer service team.

MikeTNZ
Amassing an Audience

Nah,

Good on you Red,

And don't get me wrong, you can only advise people to do the right thing.

It's tough around things like wiring, I've been an Electrician since the late 80's, what you say can actually hurt you.

I remember telling a guy how to install some "speaker wiring" in a house in 1991, turns out it was hooked up to the mains.

Newly qualified and my boss on my tail.

Don't ever want to go down that track again.

I hope you didn't take what I said as a slight toward you, that isn't my style.

Cheers,

Mike T.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi Mike (@MikeTNZ), 

@Sugar asked for suggestions to avoid running wires inside the wall. That's why @redracer01 and I suggested the trunking/cable management covers.

For someone that wanted to run cables in the wall, any suggestions on how to avoid the horizontal timber noggins mid-way up a cavity? You might be able to add to the discussion: How to determine location to drill a hole in floor support so it is between wallboard & brick veneer. We were discussing what would be the easier option, to pull the cables to the roof cavity or take them under the house.

Many thanks for sharing your knowledge.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects