Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Shading bedroom from the afternoon sun

Stuardo
Becoming a Leader

Shading bedroom from the afternoon sun

The afternoon summer sun heats up the bedroom and ensuite.The afternoon summer sun heats up the bedroom and ensuite.

I would like to build a basic timber pergola over the front courtyard that faces west and put shade cloth over the first metre out from the bedroom and ensuite.

Do you think that would be enough to cut the sun heating up these rooms?

Any other suggestions ideas appreciated.

There is currently an aluminum awning over the bedroom sliding glass door but this does not seem to cut down any heat in the room.

Thanks

Re: The afternoon summer sun heats up the bedroom and ensuite.

Hi @Former Workshop member ,

The sliding doors already had window tint on them but may not have been the best ones for keeping out the heat. I ended up building a pergola over the area and it does cut the heat down considerably. I'm also training some climbing roses over the top. The drought and 40 degree days has put it to the test recently and I'm glad I did it. 

Pergola 05.jpgPergola Shade.jpg

Ecojon
Getting Established

Re: Shading bedroom from the afternoon sun

We had a similar problem, wanted a pergola but the wallet said no!

Instead i put in 2 posts { 250ml round 600ml in the ground] then used a 5 by 5 square shade sail, fixing the other two corners to the roof batons.

It works a treat and i can take it down in the winter if i want.

Total cost around $600 as opposed to $3680 for the pergola, just a suggestion,cheers.

Just be aware that any reflection of summer heat will also reflect winter heat which is likely to be very much wanted!

Best solution to direct solar summer heat gain through glazed areas is always external shading.

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Thanks for joining in the discussion and sharing your knowledge @andarm. Sounds like you have plenty of experience to share. We are looking forward to seeing more of your posts soon. Please don't hesitate to post whenever you have something to share or need a hand from our amazing community members. We have helpful members sharing advice and inspiration every day, so we're sure you will fit right in.

Welcome,

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects