Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Sliding track suggestions for an entertainment unit?

theDIYedit
Making a Splash

Sliding track suggestions for an entertainment unit?

Hi everyone, 

I am making my own custom-built entertainment unit for my family room because I have a non-standard size for it to fit into, and can't find anything in the shops suitable enough. The dimensions will be as follows:

160cm wide

55cm deep

40cm high

I have some EasyVJ 150 on the opposite wall, so I would like to make some doors using the same panelling. However, because I have set-top boxes which are remote controlled, the doors will have to be open when the TV and gadgets are in use. I don't really like the idea of have doors wide open during these times, just because it looks 'messy' and I have also 2 pups who have no concept of their size and tend to crash around like idiots on a regular basis, so you know, safety first! Because I also would like just 2 doors, I have to think about the strain on any hinges if a door that size (80cm) would be left open. It just wouldn't be practical all round really! 

What I am really looking for is something like a sliding door kit for small cabinetry, or even individual components which I can customise or cut to size. As the VJ is only 9mm thick, and my plan is to mount it on some really thin ply-board for sturdiness, the doors wouldn't be particularly thick. Ideally, I would just like 2 x 80cm doors to slide, but would be open to adapting this depending on what is available to use. 

I was just going to use white melamine to build the frame and shelving, and then use a Specrite red oak panel and cut to size for the top. I would really REALLY appreciate any help as to how I can make the sliding doors a reality! 

Lauren

@theDIYedit 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Sliding Tracks for Entertainment Unit

Hi @theDIYedit,

I'm sure our members would be keen to see some sketches of what you have in mind. That would really help them to make some informed suggestions.

A sliding door at its most basic level is a panel that slides in a track at the top and bottom. A basic track can be constructed using an aluminium c-channel or fixing a timber beading on either side of the panel. You could start to get fancy and install an aluminium track inside the cabinet and have the door hanging off it on roller brackets.

I'd encourage you to play around with your remotes and see what access you would need to provide to the internals of the cabinet for them to work. I have two similar brand TVs in the same room and found out that even if the remote is not pointed near the other TV, the IR beam still operates it. It's really frustrating, actually. My point is that perhaps even having a small gap or a finger-pull hole in the doors could be enough to operate the devices. Another thing to consider is if you can switch to aftermarket Bluetooth remotes instead of IR remotes. The Bluetooth will go through the timber panelling.

Perhaps you could work a jute/webbing/hessian panel into the front of the doors, allowing the IR beam to access the set-top boxes. I'm sure with your talent, they'd look like part of the design.

Let me mention @TedBear and @Jewelleryrescue to see if they have any thoughts.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects