Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Spare bedroom to artist's studio

Teachershan
Finding My Feet

Spare bedroom to artist's studio

Over just a few days, we turned this drab basement spare room into a welcoming artist's studio using Dulux paint.

After - a new artists studioAfter - a new artists studioBefore - a drab spare bedroom under the houseBefore - a drab spare bedroom under the house

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Room renovation - from spare bedroom to artist's studio

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Teachershan. It's wonderful to have you join us, and many thanks for sharing your room transformation.

You've done a remarkable job of refreshing the look of this room. I'm sure it's now a charming space to create artwork within. Could you provide some details on the steps you took to achieve these results? I'm sure our members would enjoy hearing how you made these improvements.

Well done, and we look forward to your next project.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

This project was undertaken over a weekend. We painted the walls with a Dulux interior paint using a fantastic and newly-purchased Wagner paint spray gun. This cut the paint time down remarkably and required only one coat.

I sanded, washed, undercoated (oil-based to block any tannins), and then applied a Dulux white interior water-based enamel on the windows and all trim, transforming them from mission brown to sharp white, using an angled sash cutter,

The ceiling was painted using a bright ceiling white - cut in first and then rolled three times to cover the original mandarin colour.

A $30 art easel and other elements from around the house were used to style the room. 

I am so happy with the result. 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @Teachershan

Thank you very much for that extra information about your artist studio renovation. I totally agree that using a Wagner Paint Sprayer significantly reduces the painting time of any room. The re-painting of the room has undoubtedly transformed the overall feeling into a brighter more relaxing atmosphere. Can you please tell us the name of the colour you used for the brick walls? 

We look forward to seeing your next project.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects