Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

What to do with exposed wardrobe door hinges on 80’s era steel-frames?

Anna222
Finding My Feet

What to do with exposed wardrobe door hinges on 80’s era steel-frames?

Hi, 

Can you let me know what options I have with these exposed hinges? I'm fine with the steel frame, and the doors, but hate

the exposed hinges!!

Exterior 1Exterior 1Exterior 2Exterior 2InternalInternal

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: What to do with exposed wardrobe door hinges on 80’s era steel-frames.

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Anna222. It's fabulous to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about exposed door hinges.

There aren't many options I can think of to disguise the hinges. Typically, doors have an exposed hinge on one side; unfortunately, that's unavoidable. Perhaps you could make a feature out of them by upgrading to brass hinges if that suits your other room decor? Or, giving them a fresh coat of paint will help them blend in more and not be so distinctive to the eye. They are standing out at the moment due to the chipped and sparse paintwork. 

Have you considered installing a barn door in this location? If you had enough room on either side of the door to accommodate the track, that would certainly do away with the hinges.

Let me mention the knowledgeable @TedBear to see if he has any thoughts.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
TedBear
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: What to do with exposed wardrobe door hinges on 80’s era steel-frames?

Hi @Anna222  I agree with @MitchellMc s ideas. The hinges need to protrude allow the door to swing out and clear the door frame when open. 

The only other option I can think of is to make even more of a feature of them by installing Parliament Hinges. They protrude even further to allow a door to swing right back to the wall. They can be purchased in a range if interesting shapes, but for those you'll need to either buy on line or look in speciality hardware stores that deal in door fittings. 

You can search online to see pictures of what they can look like,  from boring but practical to curved and interesting.

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @Anna222

It's great that you've received excellent suggestions from @MitchellMc and @TedBear. I'm afraid my colleagues have shown you all the possible options. I recommend going along the same vein as my colleague suggested and that is to change the hinge in order to turn it into a feature. 

The current hinges are worn-out chipped and not visually appealing. The options available to you are to either re-paint the hinge, remove the paint to bring it back to its original state or replace it with new ones. Any of these alternatives will improve the look of your hinges.

Please keep us updated with your progress, we look forward to seeing your hinges revamped. 

Eric

Many thanks  @MitchellMc  @TedBear &  @EricL  If I decide to change out to a decorative hinge I'll post some images. Thanks again. Anna

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Keep us posted @Anna222, and reach out if you need further assistance.

Mitchell

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects