Workshop
Ask a question

How to match stain of indoor timber stairs?

frankb1
Finding My Feet

How to match stain of indoor timber stairs?

IMG_9298.jpeg

 I would like to know if a stain is available to match these stairs. I want to hide the scratches and imperfections. Can I do it this way or should I sand the stair and apply a clear sealer. 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: indoor timber stairs

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @frankb1. It's terrific to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about restoring a staircase.

Can you take some close-up images of the areas you wish to address? That way, our members would better understand what might work.

The chances of doing invisible spot repairs with a stain are slim. However, you might be able to use wax filler sticks to help disguise the issues. Depending on the severity of the damage, a full sand and recoat might be required and that would be best left to the professionals.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thanks for replying Mitchell. 
my stairs are Tasmanian oak  and sealed with oil based sealer. I am not happy with the way they look. I want to sand them back a little and reapply a clear sealer. 
can you recommend a sealer and should I get gloss or satin. 
thanks

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @frankb1 

I recommend having the stairs sanded back by a professional and putting on a new coat of clear. The reason for this is that the old sealer might not be compatible with the new sealer and then you get uneven absorption rates resulting in a patchy finish. This is something you want to avoid, as you will then end up sanding back the whole thing to repair the damage.

Tasmanian Oak has such a beautiful colour to it, if prepared properly and sealed with a clear sealer, it should come out with a much more natural finish. Wear and tear on the stair finish is unavoidable, you could impose a no shoe policy when people enter the house. This should lower the incidence of scratches on the surface of the stair panels. 

Since you are keen on using an oil-based sealer, I propose having a look at the Cabot's 4L Satin Cabothane Clear CFP Floor Polyurethane. This product is designed for floor use and provides a durable finish.

If you have any other question we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

Hi Eric

Aporeciate your advice. I’ll be using oil based sealer as I performed the test you suggested on a post using methylated spirits and it shows that oil based sealer was used. 
these stairs are new but tradies have scratched them up a bit. Also there is some white paint on different spots hence the sanding back. 
Can I use sealer straight on top of current sealer without sanding the stairs completely. 
cheers

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @frankb1,

Unfortunately, the stairs must be sanded completely, but hopefully not to bare timber. 

Here are the preparation instructions for previously coated timber:

1. Thoroughly clean the surface with Cabot's Floor Clean and allow to dry. Sand with 180 - 240 grit sandpaper and remove all traces of sanding dust.

2. Apply one coat to a small test area. Allow to dry for 12 hours. Press sticky tape firmly to the surface and pull off quickly. If the coating comes off, sand back to bare timber.

3. If the coating adheres well, sand the entire area with 180 - 240 grit paper for good adhesion, remove dust, then follow application instructions. 

Mitchell

Thanks Mitchell

I will give it a go. Keep you posted with progress. 

All sorted. Thank you. 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects