Workshop
Ask a question

How to restore wooden flooring in old Queenslander?

bstevens5
Just Starting Out

How to restore wooden flooring in old Queenslander?

IMG_1387.jpeg

IMG_1386.jpeg

hello! I live in an old Queenslander and have just pulled out carpets in bedroom. I’m very new to anything home DIY and living rural no one is available for 2-3 months. I’ve attached a photo of the flooring throughout my home and the bedrooms for comparison. What’s the best way to restore these? Thank you in advance, Bonnie 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to restore wooden flooring in old Queenslander?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @bstevens5. It's a pleasure to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about restoring timber floors.

Your floors will need to be sanded in order to prepare them for your coating. We have a range of floor sanders that our members have used successfully to restore their floors. If the floors are reasonably flat without very large distortions, then this is a project you could consider as a first-time D.I.Y.er. Getting familiar with the floor sander will take a little practice, and I would suggest starting with a finer grit sandpaper to prevent leaving gouges in the floor with the coarser grits. After you've had a play, you can switch to a coarser grit to remove the very top layer of the floorboards.

Here's a helpful step-by-step guide: How to sand timber floors.

After you've finished with the sanding process, you'll find this guide useful: How to seal timber floors.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects