Workshop
Ask a question

How to maintain long consistent barbecue heat

MoonshineBen
Making a Splash

How to maintain long consistent barbecue heat

One of the big challenges with cooking low and slow is maintaining heat for extended period of time (often 10-12 hours) while keeping the heat indirect.

The best method for doing so in a Weber-style kettle is to use what it commonly referred to as the snake method.

Using your chosen fuel (works particularly well with Heat Beads), line half the charcoal grate with a double row of heat beads standing upwards and leaning on each other, then add another row on the top of these. You can add chunks of your smoking wood to the snake.

Get 12-15 beads started in a chimney starter and once completely ashed over, add to the front of the snake.

snake.jpg

Pop the lid on and let it come up to temperature.

The lit coals will light the next ones in the line, and then so on around the snake, which should maintain a good 250F-275F consistency for up to 12 hours.

Add your water pan, and then the grill plate and your meat.

snake2.jpg

There is also the minion method, which I will write about later in the week.

IMPORTANT NOTE - don't use easy light fuel sources - the chemicals they use will create a terrible flavour.

Happiness is a full smoker - moonshinebbq.com.au

Re: How to maintain long consistent heat in a Weber

@Goldmember, I didn't get a chance to photograph the minion method over the weekend, but here's an excellent video to explain it - basically lit coals on top of unlit, and it burns down

Happiness is a full smoker - moonshinebbq.com.au

Re: How to maintain long consistent heat in a Weber

@MoonshineBen, can I please come live with you?

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects