Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Advice on laying terracotta tiles.

maryann
Just Starting Out

Advice on laying terracotta tiles.

Hi 

this is my first time here.

Planing on a big tiling project. Terracotta tiles on concrete.

Need any tips i can get

Than you

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Paving ideas for outdoor entertaining areas

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @maryann. It's brilliant to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about laying terracotta tiles.

Have you read through @Adam_W's article on How to tile an outdoor area? There's some excellent advice there that will assist you with the project.

I presume this is an outdoor area? If so, do you know if the concrete slab has an underlay plastic? Terracotta is porous, and if the slab wicks moisture up, it will transfer into the terracotta, potentially discolouring it with efflorescence. If it doesn't have underlay plastic, you might wish to seal the concrete before glueing your tiles down. You can test to see if there is moisture coming up from the slab by taping a 30 x 30cm sheet of clear plastic down on its surface. Sweep the surface first, and then use gaffer tape to hold the plastic down. Try and do this in a shaded area and check after 72hours. If there is moisture under the plastic, you need to seal the slab.

After you've read the outdoor tiling article, please let me know any questions you might have. I'm keen to assist you during this project and can't wait to see you get started.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects