Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Any idea how these castors will fair outdoors?

kristian
Growing in Experience

Any idea how these castors will fair outdoors?

Hi there!

I’m making a cart for my Ooni Fyra 12 pizza oven. I’m looking at these castors but not sure how they’ll go outdoors. Material just says “steel”. The cart will remain under cover when not in use, but the wheels will likely get some water on them in their lifetime being outdoors. 

TedBear
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: Any idea how these castors will fair outdoors?

Hi @kristian  perhaps one of the Bunnings team will advise differently, but the specs for that product say that they are not suitable for outdoor use.  

That said,  their cost is low, so for your situation (mostly covered) it may be worth giving them a try... you'll likely get a few years out of them, especially if you give the metal a squirt of WD40 or similar occasionally.

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @kristian.

Great to see you get a prompt and helpful reply from @TedBear.

Let me tag our resident Bunnings D.I.Y. expert in @EricL to see if he can suggest an alternative product that might be more suitable for outdoor use.

It would be great to see some photos of your cart when completed. Our members love outdoor kitchen projects. 

Please feel free to post anytime you need a hand with a project. We're here to help.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
kristian
Growing in Experience

Thanks @TedBear ! Good point, I’ll give them a shot, and worst case I can always replace them. Cheers

Thanks @Jason, will do!

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @kristian

Thank you for sharing your question about the castors.

My apologies for the late reply. It's great that you've received excellent advice from @TedBear. I totally agree with his recommendation, giving the wheels a squirt of WD-40 275g Lubricant with Smart Straw should keep them in good shape. The rubber on the wheels will prevent the floor from getting damaged when rolling the oven. Compared to using the Ambassador 75mm Silver Cast Iron Swivel Plate Castor that tend to crack tiles and splinter rocks into cement. It sounds like a very interesting oven! Any photo updates you can provide would be much appreciated.

If we can assist you further, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects