Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Anyone got backyard chickens?

AndreaNg
Having an Impact

Anyone got backyard chickens?

I'm thinking about getting backyard chickens. It would be great to get fresh eggs every day. But I'm not really sure where to start. Does anyone here have chickens and some advice? I like the chicken coop below but is it OK to leave the chickens in it all the time or do they need more space to walk around? I would be nervous about letting them out. 

136f9a06-31ef-4582-9bca-2553373c18ac.jpg

Re: Anyone got backyard chickens?

Double yolks are apparently more common than people think! They are usually attributed to young hens, as they have an abundance of ovum. My Nan always told me they were lucky, so buy a lotto ticket! 😁

mich1972
Kind of a Big Deal

Hi @AndreaNg  I have been sharing our Coop Life with everyone if you would like to have a look 🐓🐓🐓

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Thanks for joining in the discussion @Kayles77. It's great to have you join the Bunnings Workshop community. Please don't hesitate to post anytime you have something to share with the community or need a hand with a project around the house and garden. And feel free to let me know if you ever need a hand getting the most from the site.

Thanks again,

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Kys
Growing in Experience

We got chickens due to my youngest three, who all are autistic too, my older two aren't too bothered with them. 

We got them in March and every day they do their jobs, one checks for eggs, one checks their water and food and the other gives them scratch mix or scraps or lets them out. 

They are quite Wonderful for them 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @Kys

Thank you for joining the discussion and sharing how your kids are interacting with the chickens. Do they look forward to doing their jobs when it's time to inspect the chicken coop?  Would it be possible for you to post your chicken coop? I'm sure our members would love to see what you have set up.

We look forward to seeing the chickens.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects