Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Backyard fence makeover

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Backyard fence makeover

I sprayed our backyard fence on the weekend. We had some old sections of fence which didn't look great, especially near new boards. 

The spray gun was very quick and easy to use. I used Dulux RapidFinish.

Very happy with the results, although not sure we got the colour right. We were expecting more of a darker grey and less blue/purple tone. 

A couple of after shots:

IMG_1164.JPG

IMG_1163.JPG

Example of the fence before:

IMG_1157.JPG

Now we need to get planting in the garden!

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Kermit
Amassing an Audience

Re: Fence makeover

How hard are the spray guns to clean? I'm not a fan of cleaning up!

And how accurate are they? How did you ensure that you didn't get paint on the timber boards above the fence?

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

You do need to clean the gun well to ensure it doesn't get clogged in future but the unit I had was relatively easy to disassemble and clean. It wasn't a lot more time than cleaning a brush or roller. 

You do need to cover surfaces you don't want to get paint on, like brickwork for example. Although the gun is reasonably accurate there will be splatter, so preparation is important. I spent a lot of time taping up newspaper on the timber boards to cover them. But every time the wind blew through the boards the newspaper would lift off - the gentle paint tape I was using wasn't really strong enough, but I didn't want to use anything that might damage the boards. I found it was easier just to tape a couple of lines, cut in with a brush and use a large piece of cardboard to shield the boards whenever I had to spray near them.  

Jason

Looks great @Jason! Did you use Domino Grey by Dulux? It definitely has blue undertones. Grey is so hard to get right!

@KingStreetReno,

The colour is Ironstone. I'm sure it will look great once we do the planting.

Jason

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Here's a before and after shot of the same area behind the games room:

16.JPGIMG_1167.JPG

pformagg
Getting Established

Which spray gun did you use?

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

I used the Dulux RapidFinish spray gun @pformagg. It was very easy to use. Other community members might also be able to recommend alternatives. 

Thanks for joining in the discussion and a big welcome to the Workshop community. I hope you find plenty of information and inspiration for your projects. 

Let me know if you ever need a hand getting the most from the site.

Jason

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

pformagg,

I noticed that @KingStreetReno posted in another discussion that she also used the Dulux Rapid Finish spray gun for her fence makeover.

Are you planning on painting your fence?

Jason

pformagg
Getting Established

Hi Jason,

Thanks for the info. Yes planning on spray my house (brick) and Wooden fence. I got given a Ozito Spray gun, https://www.bunnings.com.au/ozito-700w-power-paint-spray-gun_p1661265. so intend to use that.

Hopefully it works.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects