Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Backyard fence makeover

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Backyard fence makeover

I sprayed our backyard fence on the weekend. We had some old sections of fence which didn't look great, especially near new boards. 

The spray gun was very quick and easy to use. I used Dulux RapidFinish.

Very happy with the results, although not sure we got the colour right. We were expecting more of a darker grey and less blue/purple tone. 

A couple of after shots:

IMG_1164.JPG

IMG_1163.JPG

Example of the fence before:

IMG_1157.JPG

Now we need to get planting in the garden!

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Moonbeam1959
Finding My Feet

Re: Backyard fence makeover

Hi Jason- the fence looks fantastic. Quick question- did you replace the old fence posts before you painted?

Hi @Moonbeam1959, thanks for joining in the discussion. 

We did a few minor repairs to the fence as it was part of our pool build project and we needed to lift the overall height of the fence to comply with pool fencing regulations - hence the Merbau extension on the top. 

Welcome to the community. We're looking forward to reading about your own projects and plans. Please don't hesitate to post anytime you need a hand or have something to share. 

Jason

Thanks Jason. 

KH-Tim
Just Starting Out

Hi @Jason This looks great. We are planning to paint wood paneling on the side of our house as we are tired of treating it with stain which fades after 6 months! It gets battered by the elements. 

Question, did you have any problems when painting the fence with the paint seeping between the panels through to your neighbour's side?

Thanks.

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @KH-Tim,

Welcome to the community. Great to see you make your first post. 

We have an empty block on one side of our house so I was able to have a look to see if there was any paint that might have come through to the other side of the fence. There was no evidence that the other side had been painted at all. 

Please let me know if you ever need a hand getting the most from the site. We look forward to reading more about your projects and plans. Perhaps your own fence rejuvenation project?

Jason

KH-Tim
Just Starting Out

Thanks @Jason 

hadi
Growing in Experience

Hi Jason,

Looking great. I'm planning to to the same to my fence. So I have questions:

1- Which color brand did you use for the fence if you don't mind me asking.

2- Did you clean the paling before spraying or any preparation steps you took ? 

3- I noticed you have extended the fence as well. How did you do that ? As I need to do the same and been searching all over and couldn't find a reasonable solution. 

Thanks

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Heya @hadi, many thanks for your kind words. All the best with your fence makeover. I'm sure you'll find painting very easy. 

We used Dulux Ironstone. It was initially little bluer than we were expecting, although as it has aged it is now more grey which is what we wanted. Most people go for Monument or Domino. 

You do need to clean the palings to remove any dirt, dust or any other debris. I just did it by hand with a small brush. 

We needed to extend the fence height and ensure they weren't climbable to comply with pool fencing regulations. They obviously also gave us some more privacy. As we had builders on site completing our backyard games room, we got them to build the panels out of Merbau decking boards. The panels are removable if we upgrade the fence at a later stage. Would you prefer to buy fence extensions or do you want to build something yourself? Make sure you search fence extension here on Workshop as you'll see some great examples. 

Jason

Cole_73
Getting Established

the colour is a colourbond colour, we used on Gutter Downpipes on external of the house (which is white), and path, maybe on wood it comes out a little more blue.

I was considering painting the whole house, and bought spray gun - Wagner Flexio 575 Paint Sprayer - unsued as yet, bit scary haha

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Thanks for joining in the discussion @Cole_73. Great to see you make your first post after being a member for so long. We are looking forward to reading about your projects and plans. Please don't hesitate to post anytime you have something to share with the community or need a hand with a project around the house and garden. 

Jason

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects