Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Barbecue season preparation

Walter

Barbecue season preparation

Hey all,  title is a bit of a misnomer, since I barbecue all year round.

However, as this is the long weekend (NSW) and daylight saving start, I thought I'd make some recommendations that I carry out every 6 months.

1: Give the Barbecue a really good clean with degreasing agents. I stock up on spray and  tough clean ( this cleans the window beautifully}

2: I clean out the old, and replace the fatsorb   

3: Thoroughly check the gas hoses. (soapy water if you think there are leaks)

4: Check the flame tamers and replace if necessary ( had to replace two for the first time in years this year)

5: Check the rail burners

6: Check the gas cylinders (I keep a spare so that I never run out of gas in the middle of a cook)

7: Check expiry dates on your seasonings and replace if neccessary.

8: Check your utensils (or buy something new for yourself)

9: Replenish the various woods for smoking (I use 2 smoke boxes with the LPG)

10: Check the Rotissierie.

Have I missed anything?

I start the season with a special Barbecue. 

This time it's Barbecued Racks of Lamb,  Seasoned rub, and applewood smoking chips.

Served with Hassleback Potoatoes and Hassleback Carrots (same technique as with potatoes), barbecue these a bit longer than the lamb racks, and keep them warm.

And of course, a good Shiraz.

Expect photos of the result on Monday.😁

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Barbecue Season Perparation

Excellent tips there @Walter! I look forward to the images on Monday.

I'll throw a couple in the ring. It's essential to leave an oil coating on your stainless steel and cast-iron plates in between BBQs. If you don't, they'll start to rust. That's a mistake I made with my first BBQ, cleaned it down perfectly and then came back the next month to heavily rusted plates. After you clean food and grease off the plates, just wipe over them with cooking oil to leave a film on their surface. If you don't like cleaning your BBQ, invest in a few BBQ Buddy Nonstick Hot Plate Liners. Completely non-stick, easy to wash in the sink and are perfect for cooking eggs on.

Budget-friendly BBQs: Upgrade the cast-iron plates supplied with the BBQ to enamel hot plates and switch to plastic utensils. They are much easier to clean, food seldom sticks to them, and they are generally only offered on the premium BBQs. Buy a cover; you'll extend the life of the BBQ by many years. Just because it's stainless steel doesn't mean it won't rust, so cover your BBQ even in undercover areas. Check to see whether the hood can accept a rotisserie. Even though the cheaper BBQ's won't come with them, they might have the mounting holes to add one later. A rotisserie opens up a whole world of cooking options.

I've spent a number of years selling BBQs in our store's. If anyone has questions, I'd encourage you to ask them here.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Re: Barbecue Season Perparation

Because we are babysitting Monday, and the wife is working late shift,

I moved the BBQ to Sunday.

Preparing the Hassleback Potoatoes and Carrots is as easy as placing them long ways between 2 wooden spoons and carefully cutting to the height of the spoons, so the don't slice off.

For the carrots, no seasoning is necessary, but I dollop some olive oil, and if you want you can put a little honey on them just before they finish cooking.

I put the grill on high heat, mount the carrots in a "rib rack" to keep them off the grill.

Potatoes, just put them on foil, rub some seasoning (in my case garlic and rosemary), a dollop of olive oil and put them on the heating shelf. You can also "indirect cook them"

About 10 minutes in, I lower the heat.  It's about 30 minutes in my BBQ at 200 Celsius.

The lamb:  Rub some mild mustard all over, then rub a coating of a lamb rub ( In my case "Grill Society Lam Rub" from Coles, but there are some great ones from Bunnings, I'm just using this up first)

soak some Apple wood or another mild wood, and put the wet chips into a smoker box, or aluminium foil (cut some holes to let the magic smoke out).

Here's the before:

PXL_20211003_073024438.MP.jpg

I'll post the result later, as its still cooking.  time for the lamb - 200 for an hour, or 2 beers.

edit:

and after:  I have to say it was amazing.   With a Shiraz too.

PXL_20211003_085052858.jpg

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Barbecue season preparation

Thanks for sharing @Walter, hope you are enjoying your long weekend. 

Looking forward to seeing photos of your lamb - sounds delicious.

Thought I might share these resources for other reasons of the discussion:

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects