Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Best oil for forrest red gum table top?

Ryjh
Just Starting Out

Best oil for forrest red gum table top?

I’ve built a few frames for outdoor picnic style tables, finally chose to go with Forrest red gum for the tops of the bench seats and table. 
What would be the best oil to make the red really pop? 

Thanks in advance 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Best oil for forrest red gum table top?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Ryjh. It's terrific to have you join us and many thanks for your question.

If you had an offcut I would advise taking it with you into a Bunnings store and enquiring with a helpful team member. I am sure they would be interested in trying out a few oils to see what effects they have on making the red really pop.

You'll note in Replacing kitchen and bathroom benchtops - River Red Gum timber by @Old-gal24 that her reds really do pop. However, she has used a marine-grade varnish for this process. I would imagine an oil will not produce such a dramatic effect.

Let me mention some of our experienced woodworkers @Poppop, @woodalwaysworks, @woodenwookie, @r23on who might like to contribute to the discussion.

We look forward to hearing more about your project and would encourage you to let us know anytime you need assistance or had something to share. I trust you'll find loads of inspiration within the community as our creative members are contributing their own projects here all the time.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
r23on
Amassing an Audience

Re: Best oil for forrest red gum table top?

If the out door table is going to spend any time outside using an oil needs to be done at least once a year to protect it from the weather, mould and cracking. If you want to have the table last for ever! Then the use of an Epoxy Varnish is the better way to go. The preparation will be most important, a little more work but it will POP

Epoxy with Exterior Varnish

Epoxy sealer with exterior varnish topcoats are the most durable and the most labor-intensive finish you can apply to outdoor furniture as the epoxy forms an impenetrable moisture barrier that prevents seasonal swelling and shrinking of the wood giving a longer life. A point of interest this method is most used by boat builders.

As to which brand? well to me they all do the same job 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects