Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Best screws for Merbau decking - colour coded?

GeoffMS
Growing in Experience

Best screws for Merbau decking - colour coded?

Hi all,

I am getting to the 'pointy' end of my decking project and am having some issue on deciding what screws to use.

I am laying 140 x 19 Merbau deck boards for an approx. 4.7 x 4.0mt deck - using approx. 28 deck boards over H3 treated pine joists.

My concern is, I wish to use screws that are close to the same colour as the Merbau colour - rather than 'silver' stainless steel.

I intend to use a natural oil to coat the Merbau and don't really want all the 'silver' stainless steel screws to 'shine'.

Is there a screw (stainless steel coloured or otherwise) that is available that will blend with the Merbau colour.

Was thinking these https://www.bunnings.com.au/buildex-10-8-x-65mm-climacoat-treated-pine-and-hardwood-decking-screws-1... but not sure if they would be suitable being for 'treated pine'.

Thanks for any help/advice.

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Best screws for Merbau decking - colour coded?

Hello @GeoffMS 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's a pleasure to have you join us, and thank you for sharing your question about the best-coloured screws for Merbau decking.

I agree with your choice of using the Buildex 10-8 x 65mm Climacoat Treated Pine And Hardwood Decking Screws - 100 Pack for the treated decking panels. It's an ideal screw as it's designed to be used for decking panels. It has a subdued colour and should blend in when you stain your deck. My best suggestion is to make sure that the pilot holes you drill are big enough to prevent the decking panel ends from splitting. I suggest having a look at the P&N 10G Quickbit TCT Cut Smart Countersink Drill Bit to make pilot hole drilling convenient.

In the interest of safety please make sure to wear gloves, safety goggles and a dust mask when drilling into your decking panels.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @GeoffMS,

I just wanted to confirm that these screws are fine for your hardwood Merbau decking. They're just stipulating that they are also fine for treated Pine since some screw types are not. 

Mitchell

GeoffMS
Growing in Experience

Thankyou @EricL and @MitchellMc for your quick replies and confirmations.

Eric, I agree in using the Countersink drill bit - time saving for sure.

On the screws again ....

1) Thinking, would the 65mm be a little over kill? Would the 50mm be ok?

2) The bit in the Cut Smart Countersink drill kit doesn't seem to be very long.  I'm worried that the pilot hole wont go far enough through the 19mm Merbau and then into the h3 treated pine joists -- therefore creating the possibility of shearing off screw heads due the 'toughness' of the treated pine (maybe wrong, but just a slight worry in my head :smile:  )

3) Would these screws be that little bit better (I could get away with black) https://www.bunnings.com.au/buildex-10g-x-50mm-black-decking-screws-50-pack_p0284271 compared to the 1st suggested Buildex climacoat deck screws?

Thanks again.

Geoff

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @GeoffMS,

50mm screws will be fine. For countersinking, we also have the P&N 4 Piece Quickbit Pilot Drill / Countersink Bit Set. Once again, the drillbit appears short, but it can be adjusted to drill slightly deeper. It's actually the Merbau being a hardwood that is more of a concern, and you'll be pre-dilling completely through that. The Pine is a softwood, and even if you didn't pre-drill it at all, it isn't likely to cause the screw heads to shear off.

The black Buildex screws would certainly be a viable option.

Please let me know if you have further questions.

Mitchell

GeoffMS
Growing in Experience

Thank you @MitchellMc for your advice.

I've never completed such a job, especially on this scale and on my own, so advice from yourself, Eric and staff at my local Bunnings (Seaford SA) store

(and youtube) has certainly given me more confidence - my wife was especially worried though 😅

We never used the spa, so it was decided we try and make better use of the area.

A couple of progress photos before final touches of noggins, deck lights and decking.

spa8.jpgspa1.jpgbare1.jpgjoists1.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Looking good @GeoffMS! I can't wait to see your finished results.

Mitchell

GeoffMS
Growing in Experience

A question on whether to screw down Merbau decking boards over all joists or every other joist.

My joists are 450mm (or there abouts) apart and wondering if I should have to screw down the decking boards into each joist - or is every over joist ok?

Sort of answering my own question here as I'm thinking if I screw into every other joist, then there is a possibility of possible bounce/movement on the joists that are not screwed down (especially if the level is slightly out).

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @GeoffMS 

You are absolutely correct, the reason the decking panel is fixed into every joist is to prevent it from moving and twisting. It also adds stiffness to the entire decking assembly. 

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

GeoffMS
Growing in Experience

Thanks for the confirmation @EricL .

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects