Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Best surface bonding cement product?

thekismethome
Just Starting Out

Best surface bonding cement product?

Im planning to cover a couple of surfaces to look like concrete - one is currently brick, the other fibre cement board. What product would you use to get this kind of finish? All the projects I’ve seen use Quikwall which is an American surface bonding cement product. It has fibreglass particles in it that give it extra strength over a traditional stucco.
Anyone know what the best NZ available product equivalent would be?

17E0EEC5-C410-4FDD-BD54-1CE6253BF108.jpeg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: best surface bonding cement product?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @thekismethome. It's sensational to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about rendering surfaces.

I've contacted a few of our experts in the NZ stores, and it looks like Mortar Mix is really the only product available. Obviously, this doesn't have any extraordinary binding, adhesion or strengthening properties like the Quickwall product you mentioned. However, a mix of water, cement and sand has been successfully used for thousands of years to coat hard surfaces. You can add Cemix Acrylbond Modifier And Bonder to your mortar mix and use it to prime your surfaces, increasing the bond strength. 

I'll also mention my colleague @EricL, who has spent some time on the other side of the ditch, as he might be more knowledgeable when it comes to your available coating systems.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thank you so much Mitchell!! I’ll give it a go :smile:

Keep us updated @thekismethome, and reach out if you need further assistance. We're here to help.

Mitchell

becxy05
Growing in Experience

would love to know the exact same thing, except for Australia. We want to cover a brick wall with a white cement or render. The quikwall mention above is what I have seen used in a lot of online diy instructions. Any tips for what products are available in Australia? Thank you 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @becxy05

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's magnificent to have you join us, and thank you for sharing your question about render.

There are a few products you can choose from, there is Davco 20kg PM Render, Dunlop 16kg Ready To Go Premix Render, Dunlop 20kg Multipurpose Acrylic Render, Davco 20kg Off White Render and Dunlop 20kg Fine Coat Render. Each of these renders has its own unique characteristics, but they can all be used on a variety of surfaces. 

The Davco 20kg Off White Render is the closest one to your preference. It's an off-white render so there is no need to paint it once applied. 

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

becxy05
Growing in Experience

Thank you so much Eric,

Just a few questions about the Davco off white render. Do you have to apply anything underneath it first? And how would it go with heat? If we wanted to cover our pizza oven with the same colour, would it be ok? Thank you so much!

bec 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @becxy05,

No primer is required before using Davco Off White Render on your brick wall. Here's a helpful step-by-step guide on How to render

For your pizza oven, I'd recommend you go with Lanko High Temperature Mortar.

Please be advised that the term "Off white" typically means grey. You'll likely need to paint your rendered wall with white exterior paint if you want that brilliant-white look. The pizza oven mortar will also be a grey colour.

Please let us know if you have further questions.

Mitchell

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects