Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Best way to attach fence extension to asbestos?

tarshgardiner
Growing in Experience

Best way to attach fence extension to asbestos?

EDIT:

Thanks for the comments! What would you use for the posts?
Would they need to go in the ground and if so, how far? I feel like trying to bang posts into the ground flush to the fence has a risk of hitting the fence and disturbing the asbestos.

How would you attach the extension to the post so there wasn’t a big ugly join?

The existing fence is fully painted and I would paint the extension to match. 
Thanks everyone. 

What is the best way to attach this fence extension to asbestos?

IMG_9249.png

DIYGnome
Making a Splash

Re: Best way to attach fence extension to asbestos

Hello @tarshgardiner asbestos what exactly?

Are we talking about applying a fence extension to an existing asbestos fence?

Asbestos poses no health risk unless broken OR disturbed, ideally fence upgrades would include removal/replacement of this hazardous product, that said fence extensions added to an existing asbestos fence (in good condition) would need to be self supporting (independant upright posts).

Please excuse the ad-hoc rough mock up 😉

2400x400-8.jpg

Re: Best way to attach fence extension to asbestos

Hi @tarshgardiner

As @DIYGnome says Asbestos is safest undisturbed broken and drilled etc, I will put a new post in against the asbestos (if it isnt removable with many precations.)  And attached the lattice extentions to the new post leaving the adjacent asbestos totally undisturbed. I would paint and bind the asbestos to further protect your self if in the raw state if it isnt removable in a safe way. 

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Best way to attach fence extension to asbestos?

Hi @tarshgardiner,

It's great to see you have received good advice from community members about the dangers of disturbing asbestos.  

I just wanted to remind you that grave health hazards are linked to asbestos which may be in homes built up to 1990. For information on the dangers of asbestos and tips for dealing with asbestos, please contact your local council’s Environmental Health Officer or check out the Asbestos Safety and Eradication Agency at asbestossafety.gov.au which has a range of resources to be asbestos safe. You can also call 1300 326 148 for advice and information.

Thanks,

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @tarshgardiner 

It's great that you've received excellent advice from our members. I agree with the recommendations made and that is to use independent posts separate from your existing fence. The odds of shaking, moving or disturbing the fence is too great and if any of its dust particles spread around, you'll contaminate yourself and your neighbours.

I propose having a look at 75mm 3.0m Pole Splits H4 Treated Pine Round CCA as a possible post for your fence extension. The other option of course is to have the old fence torn down by an asbestos removal company and have a new one put up. From a long-term investment point of view, it is a plus for your property if there is no mention of asbestos if you ever decide to sell your place.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

tarshgardiner
Growing in Experience

Hi Eric,

The link says 'page not found' and when I search for 'Pole splits h4 treated pine round all I get is 'pole h4 treated pine round'. Are the ones you're recommending just those but split in half lengthwise? If so, where would I get those?

I'm assuming you're saying these would sit on top of the ground and not need installing INTO the ground, as you haven't mentioned anything about that and that product has a flat end. Is that right?

And I'd asked about attaching to the extension - how would that be done?

Thanks!

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @tarshgardiner 

My apologies, I should have mentioned that it will need to be dug into the ground and concreted for installation. Since the half round is not showing up, I suggest having a look at this one instead 75 x 75mm 2.4m Post H4 Treated Pine Radiata CCA. As I mentioned in my last post, I don't advise disturbing the asbestos fence as it is toxic.

In regards to attaching the extension to the post, I suggest using Zenith 8 - 10 x 50mm Galvanised Countersunk Rib Head Timber Screws - 50 Pack

If you need further assistance, please let me know.

Eric

\

tarshgardiner
Growing in Experience

Thanks again Eric! It seems like concreting in large posts might be a bit of overkill for this cheap fence extension so I think I'll go back to the drawing board :smile:

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects