Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Big plans for landscaping

woodenwookie
Making a Splash

Big plans for landscaping

I've been quite quite here lately due to ridiculous loads at work. I work as a postie and anyone who says mail is dead needs to see what we're delivering.

I haven't been all quiet at home though. So just as a catch up here's what I've been working on so far.

We had to install a security camera system after someone broke into my workshop and stole my laptop. I suspect they were on a scouting mission because they didn't touch any of my tools which were in easy access. Luckily what they stole was the least useful tool in the shop. My MacBook Pro is old and falling apart. It would be worthless to them. They knew this because the police were able to find all my stuff and no one had done anything with it. Ha ha.

We went with the Swann security cameras. I did buy them from Harvey Norman but I noticed that Bunnings also sells them after seeing them behind the counter. I suspect they are a special order though because I did not see them on the shop floor. They seem to be a good unit and the fact I can monitor them from anywhere I am is a good thing. We set them up on all four corners of the house so there's very few places they could get in without being spotted.

We're getting a mate in to replace our fence as a result of the break in and a couple of other odd incidents. It'll be nothing flash but it will keep people from scoping us out. We've already got film applied to our windows to make inside less viewable from outside.

One with, one withoutOne with, one without

The window on the left has light behind itThe window on the left has light behind it

As you can see, it makes a big difference.

We're doing a lot of work tidying up the front yard. We have a little nib wall acting as a retaining wall. My plan is to remove this wall to bring a gentle slope to the main front lawn. I don't have a decent area to smoothly bring the lawnmower down as it's all steps.

IMG_0127.png

IMG_0130.png

IMG_0128.png

I bought an Ozito hammer/chisel drill to knock down this wall. Still getting the hang of it. It's pretty hungry on batteries so I think I need to invest in a 5.2mAh battery or two. I made a mistake when I bought that drill. First I walked for an hour to Bunnings to buy the drill then walked an hour back home. I opened the box to find out it was the wrong drill. It explained the $100 "saving". I had to go back a couple of days later when my wife returned from Hamilton to return it to get the correct one. I was NOT going to walk another two hours to replace it.

We've also started to plant fruit trees. We've got a fig, a lemon/lime (grafted so it grows both on the same tree), two feijoas, and a mandarin. We also have an avocado tree in a different spot. There are two passionfruit vines but they are far from grown at the moment. I need to weed around them to get them to grow but I also think they have finished growing for the season. Our last ones at our different house did the same.

We have one tree we wish to remove due to proximity to power lines.

IMG_0132.png

It'll allow us to clean up the basil bush behind it and tidy that entire corner. We also want to lower that hill so that we can have easier mowing. A digger is going to be needed. With regards the tree, as luck would have it an arborist just moved in next door so when he's ready he'll take it and ring it for us for firewood.

I'll keep updating when we've made good progress.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Big plans for landscaping

So many projects on the go, @woodenwookie, I'm envious! I'm also sorry to hear of your workshop being broken into, as that's never a nice feeling. You've certainly taken some great measures to prevent such an event in the future. 

I look forward to future updates on your projects, as it sounds like you'll have some wonderful results. Many thanks for sharing and great work.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Re: Big plans for landscaping

Thanks. That's just the start. I'll be building a new workshop once we get a new driveway laid down. It was my fault that the workshop got broken into. I left the door unlocked and they tempted fate and kind of got rewarded. Never had a problem until a couple of kids moved into a halfway house a block away.

Most of the work is going to be done piecemeal due to finances. The front yard is pretty much cheap as chips to do due to the work being able to be done myself. The fence I could do myself but I just don't have time at the moment so we decided to get a friend in to do it and pay him.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects