Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Building deck on alfresco

TroyK
Getting Established

Building deck on alfresco

Hi all, I'm planning to build a deck on my alfresco which is concreted. I've done the measurements and just wanted to ask if there is any online tool or program that I can use to draw the deck, joists, noggins etc. to scale? Thanks.

Deck.png

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Building deck on alfresco

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @TroyK. It's fantastic to have you join us, and many thanks for your question.

There are quite a few free to use deck designer tools out there if you do a google search on them. I know @redracer01 uses Sketch-up for creating designs, and he might be able to suggest if that would be suitable. However, a handy feature with deck designer tools is that they often incorporate timber span tables and suggest what sizes of timber and spacings are required. We have the Good Times deck planner for use with their modular system and this decking calculator from Specrite and Ecodeck is also handy for working out how much decking timber you'll need.

You should find this step-by-step guide useful whilst using the design tool: Planning To Build A Deck

I look forward to hearing about available deck planners that our members suggest and following along with your project.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
redracer01
Kind of a Big Deal

Hello @TroyK 

I totally agree with @MitchellMc on the use of deck designer tools as it will not lead you astray. Sketchup is a good tool for quick designs and ideas quickly drawn up but it does not provide technical information on proper wood thickness and length. I manage to use sketchup as I am very familiar with kitchen cabinet sizes and bench top limits. Drawing a deck in sketchup is possible and you can even make some very technical ones with measurements and notes. But you must know if the timber you have drawn has the proper weight bearing tolerances necessary to carry your deck. Mistakes can easily be made on sketchup as it has no auto correct while drawing your build. The deck designer tool will show you the proper timber to use. If you wish to flesh out your ideas to see what it might look like in 3d then yes you can use sketchup but refer to the deck designer tools for all the technical info.

Cheers,

Red

I am a Bunnings team member. Any opinions or recommendations shared here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Bunnings. Visit the Bunnings website for assistance from the customer service team.

TroyK
Getting Established

Thanks @MitchellMc and @redracer01 for your super helpful response. I'll check out those resources and post my progress once I get started

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects